Slow loading site due to pictures RRS feed

• Question

• User-1160112130 posted

Hi,

I have got the Personal Starter kit working well and currently have it hosted online. I have one problem...It seems that the more pictures that I add to an album the longer the site takes to load.

Has anyone else had this problem or know a way around it?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor Keast.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:03 AM

Answers

• User1631759614 posted

Yes, its a common problem. It is the result of the database getting huge from all those pictures. The best bet is to Add a third table to the database and store the full size pictures in there. You can then replace the column for the full size pictures with a foreign key for the ID in the full size picture table. You will have to rewrite quite a few methods and stored procedures to accomplish this. The other option is to shrink down your pictures before you upload them. Something like 640 x 480 is preferable, but 800 x 600 would work. Good Luck =)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:17 AM
  • User-1160112130 posted

Thanks for your reply. Could I just ask one further question? How does putting the images in a third table solve the problem?

If I store the pictures on the file system instead, would this solve the problem? 

Regards,

Trevor Keast

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:17 AM
  • User1631759614 posted

The time is eaten up sorting through the pictures table, if you remove the full size pic from this table it will dramatically be reduced. Saving the full size pic to the file system would accomplish the same. I personally feel that there is more room for errors going with the filesystem solution, but thats coming from someone that does a lot of database work. The choice is yours =)

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:41 PM

All replies

• User1631759614 posted

Yes, its a common problem. It is the result of the database getting huge from all those pictures. The best bet is to Add a third table to the database and store the full size pictures in there. You can then replace the column for the full size pictures with a foreign key for the ID in the full size picture table. You will have to rewrite quite a few methods and stored procedures to accomplish this. The other option is to shrink down your pictures before you upload them. Something like 640 x 480 is preferable, but 800 x 600 would work. Good Luck =)

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:17 AM
  • User-1160112130 posted

Thanks for your reply. Could I just ask one further question? How does putting the images in a third table solve the problem?

If I store the pictures on the file system instead, would this solve the problem? 

Regards,

Trevor Keast

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:17 AM
  • User1631759614 posted

The time is eaten up sorting through the pictures table, if you remove the full size pic from this table it will dramatically be reduced. Saving the full size pic to the file system would accomplish the same. I personally feel that there is more room for errors going with the filesystem solution, but thats coming from someone that does a lot of database work. The choice is yours =)

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:41 PM