Debugging vs Release with web services problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with my web services and I wonder if you can help me,

I have a web services, it delete from a table and insert a different set of data after finish deleting, it works fine when I am debugging it, but when I release it to the server, does not work, I got the number of affected rows but looks like it does not do nothing.

Any help will be grateful to me.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:35 PM

Answers

• Just want to double check you are not chaning from debug to release mode and getting the error but deploying it to your server (production/test)? If this is the case, check your config files. I was working on a project and I had my service references point to localhost rather then my server. This could be set by the server references or your own strings in web/app/services.config.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks,

Brad

• Marked as answer by peterposnag Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:59 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Check the below things before ...

1. Is this working with debug DLLs on the server. If not, the issue is not with the debug/release code.

2. Check the connection string where is it pointing to on the server (where the code has been deployed with release mode)

3. Check the Web Service URL in the server config file whether it is pointing to the same server.

4. Check whether you have the right Stored Procs in the DB server where it is pointing and also you are committing the changes.

After that drop an update on this.

Gangadhar Kotu, MCTS SharePoint 2010

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem.

Friday, April 27, 2012 4:14 PM
  • When you debug it, do you use Visual Studio to host it? Try to use IIS when debugging, to see if hit the same problem.

Visual Studio simply uses your credentials, while IIS not. That might lead to the problem if your database see a different user.

Lex Li (http://lextm.com)

Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:26 AM
  • Thanks to all of you,

I deployed to a different server and it works fine now, I don't really know what was happening but now is working.

Once again,

Thanks.

Peter

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:59 PM

All replies

• Just want to double check you are not chaning from debug to release mode and getting the error but deploying it to your server (production/test)? If this is the case, check your config files. I was working on a project and I had my service references point to localhost rather then my server. This could be set by the server references or your own strings in web/app/services.config.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks,

Brad

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Check the below things before ...

1. Is this working with debug DLLs on the server. If not, the issue is not with the debug/release code.

2. Check the connection string where is it pointing to on the server (where the code has been deployed with release mode)

3. Check the Web Service URL in the server config file whether it is pointing to the same server.

4. Check whether you have the right Stored Procs in the DB server where it is pointing and also you are committing the changes.

After that drop an update on this.

Gangadhar Kotu, MCTS SharePoint 2010

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem.

Friday, April 27, 2012 4:14 PM
  • When you debug it, do you use Visual Studio to host it? Try to use IIS when debugging, to see if hit the same problem.

Visual Studio simply uses your credentials, while IIS not. That might lead to the problem if your database see a different user.

Lex Li (http://lextm.com)

Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:26 AM
  • Thanks to all of you,

I deployed to a different server and it works fine now, I don't really know what was happening but now is working.

Once again,

Thanks.

Peter

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:59 PM