Shell Launcher and "classic Desktop" RRS feed

• Question

• I have WES8

Is possible:

1) run "my application" over "Shell Launcher" module

2) minimalize "my application"

3) run explorer.exe and display "classic Desktop"

When "my application" is shell explorer.exe display only one folder but   without "classic Desktop".

Is possible " have cake and eat it " ?

Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:46 AM

Answers

•  a way to get explorer.exe to run only as file explorer and not as the shell

Give it a command line argument.   E.g.  explorer.exe  c:\

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 4, 2016 5:04 AM

All replies

• Once the custom application is the shell, Explorer.exe will only run as file explorer. No work around available.

You could implement a second account that has Explorer shell as the shell.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Proposed as answer by jlarson.thinix Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:05 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:18 PM
  • I have read somewhere (can't remember where) that EXPLORER.EXE will bring up it's UI stuff if it is set as the shell in the registry.

You can try to set "Shell" in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Micorosft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" to "explorer.exe" before launching it, and reset it to your own shell application after Explorer has started (add a timeout or something else).

I didn't tried, but you can give it a try. Good luck.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Sean -

How about in Windows 10, does it work the same way, and is there a way to get explorer.exe to run only as file explorer and not as the shell

Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Windows 10 has the same issue as Windows 8. You could download and run a different file explorer application than explorer.exe. There are a few out there.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, December 2, 2016 4:11 PM
  •  a way to get explorer.exe to run only as file explorer and not as the shell

Give it a command line argument.   E.g.  explorer.exe  c:\

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 4, 2016 5:04 AM