Trail, same machine, different users - interesting issue (BUG?)

Question

• This is what I have noticed on Windows 8.1:

1) App XYZ for 8.1 offers trial version

2) User1 on Machine1 purchases full version of XYZ

3) User2 on Machine1 downloads trial XYZ

4) When User2 runs XYZ, XYZ app (while running) does not detect that this is a trial copy (how do I know? when it detects it shows a message that it is a trial copy, when it does not detect it, it does not show the message)

Store still shows that User2 is running trial of XYZ, but app itself does not detect this.

This appears to be a bug. Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks, PV66

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi PV66,

I consult with senior engineers, this behavior is by design. 

This is needed for scenario like parents buy the app and install for their children, they do not need to buy the copy for children. This is not a bug.

And thank you for supporting the forum.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:17 AM

All replies

• Hi PV66,

That could be a issue, but I cannot confirm. I will ask some senior engineers if CurrentApp class contain user information, as I know that the app from different userd installed in a same folder.

However you could also ask this question at this forum for windows using issues: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1?tab=Threads

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:09 AM
  • Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Hi PV66,

I consult with senior engineers, this behavior is by design. 

This is needed for scenario like parents buy the app and install for their children, they do not need to buy the copy for children. This is not a bug.

And thank you for supporting the forum.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:17 AM
  • Thanks James.

So, if understand the explanation correctly, if one user buys and installs Windows Store app on a computer, all users (using different accounts) that use the same computer can use the full version of the app.

Good to know.

PV66

Friday, March 7, 2014 3:44 PM
  • I think this explains what I've been seeing with the app I've built which makes use of in-app purchases but it makes it very difficult as a developer to test in-app operations.  I understand that this is by design but believe it's also an opportunity for misuse/abuse and ultimately lost revenue for the developer and Microsoft.

Regards,

Guy King

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:32 PM
  • Although I understand the need for one pc, multiple users given access, there should be a better way to do this. When I looked at my store account, it said I could install any apps purchased on up to 81 PCs (4 other PCs were already listed).  This seems like a very high number of allowed installable copies. This could account for a significant amount of lost revenue if one person installs the same app on the maximum number of PCs.

Shouldn't the App be allowed on a specified number of PCs (by developer app license info) and when that number is exceeded, either it can't be installed by the account or it must be unregistered from another PC?

Microsoft, please continue to improve the security and application usability for store apps that protect the interests of both developers and users.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:03 PM