Reporting Services - reportViewer? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1104215994 posted

Hi,

I would like to implement couple of reports but I am not sure how to do it easy and fancy way. Most of my reports I need to get report in a date range(start date - end date). Is Report Viewer suitable? Any ideas would be great.

Best Regards.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:46 AM

Answers

• User-1728704632 posted

Hi,

I think that Reporting services it is a good option for reports, it is pretty easy to use, and you can make a average report in less than half an hour. It allows you to use a stored procedure or query to feed the report with data, and you can add report parameters to vary the data on the reports.

There is however, some disadvantages with this tool. First, it does not include tools for the look-and-feel of the report, although you can import some images and designs, and place it on the report. The other disadvantage is that only generates Excel 2003 files for the option of producing Excel files, althought this is not a big issue if you will not include more that ~65,000 lines on the report and other features that only are available in Excel 2007/2010. If you really need to use Excel 2007 files, there is a 3rd party tool called Aspose.Cells, that allows the Report Server to generate Excel 2007 files, but it is a little expensive (~$900).

There is also the tool of Crystal Reports, that it is also used for this purpose. I think the propietary is SAP. Unfortunately, I have no experience with this tool, so I cannot give you my opinion for this one.

Hope that this helps.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:57 PM

All replies

• User-1728704632 posted

Hi,

I think that Reporting services it is a good option for reports, it is pretty easy to use, and you can make a average report in less than half an hour. It allows you to use a stored procedure or query to feed the report with data, and you can add report parameters to vary the data on the reports.

There is however, some disadvantages with this tool. First, it does not include tools for the look-and-feel of the report, although you can import some images and designs, and place it on the report. The other disadvantage is that only generates Excel 2003 files for the option of producing Excel files, althought this is not a big issue if you will not include more that ~65,000 lines on the report and other features that only are available in Excel 2007/2010. If you really need to use Excel 2007 files, there is a 3rd party tool called Aspose.Cells, that allows the Report Server to generate Excel 2007 files, but it is a little expensive (~$900).

There is also the tool of Crystal Reports, that it is also used for this purpose. I think the propietary is SAP. Unfortunately, I have no experience with this tool, so I cannot give you my opinion for this one.

Hope that this helps.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:57 PM
  • User-1104215994 posted

Hi,

I would like to use reportviewer on asp.net.I placed 2 Textboxes which are filled with date by Jquery date picker and a button to show the report. Now I need some help to show the report. Are there any tutorials?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:04 PM
  • User-1104215994 posted

I found out.

Thanks

Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:48 AM