Release fails when deploying using MSI deployer due to UAC prompt RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently testing continuous deployments and having a problem with UAC prompt when deploying an MSI.

Running the msiexec.ps1 script with the correct parameters in an elevated session allows the MSI to be executed and installed correctly but I am unable to configure Release Management to deploy with this as a requirement.

Has anyone else had this issue?

We are unable to disable UAC on the servers due to company policy.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Dba4mssql,  

Thanks for your reply.

The run deploy service account is the administrator(added in local Administrators group) on your target server? 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by dba4mssql Monday, May 23, 2016 3:33 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Dba4mssql,  

Thanks for your post.

Do you mean that if you manually execute the ps1 script file on your target server, then deploy can run successfully without the UAC prompt? If yes, you run the ps1 file on target server using which account?

If you cannot disable the UAC on your target server, I think you need disable the UAC for your deploy account on that server, for how to disable the UAC for one specific account, please refer to the solution in this similar post: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/03162f4d-8a2d-4990-b43e-7361f6e95dc4/disable-uac-for-a-specific-user-account-on-a-domain-controller?forum=winserversecurity. For more information about disable UAC for specific account, please contact Windows Server experts for the better response.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:28 AM
  • I mean that If I launch the ps1 script with a Power shell session launched As Administrator then the MSI runs and deploys successfully.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:10 AM
  • Hi Dba4mssql,  

Thanks for your reply.

The run deploy service account is the administrator(added in local Administrators group) on your target server? 

• Marked as answer by dba4mssql Monday, May 23, 2016 3:33 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 10:33 AM