Cannot connect to Smart Device via Activesync RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to debug my application on the target device. I can connect using Activesync, and copy files back and forth. I can even run the application there. However, when I attempt to connect to the device using Activesync, it always fails. I have followed every example I could find, and I have had no luck. I have gone as far as I can with this application without being able to debug on the target, so I am absolutely desperate. I am on my knees here...can someone help me, or point me to where I need to go? Is there a specific Microsoft place I can go to pay for help if necessary? PLEASE help if you can!

Geoffrey Callaghan
    Wednesday, August 17, 2005 7:59 PM

Answers

• Connectivity Scenarios have been greatly enhanced in VS 2005 based on feedback we got from VS 2003 users. I do encourage you to try VS 2005 (RC). With VS 2005 you can still target a PPC 2003 device which is using .NET CF 1.0

Thanks
    Amit
    Monday, September 19, 2005 1:58 AM

All replies

• what error message did you see? what is the kind of app are you trying to debug?

• If you are working on a native app
      • Check project->properties->debugging->debugger to launch is set to Smart device Native debugger.
      • Make sure that you have selected a device(Not emulator) in your 'target device' combo box.

Daniel

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:34 PM
  • I'm building a Visual Basic .NET application. I have chosen the right target device, and I am deploying to that device. The error says to check that the device is physically connected...which obviously it is. I have to admit I don't really understand what you mean by "native app", but I don't see that debug option in my project menu.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:17 PM
  • Are you using VS 2003? If so, please see this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7ec99ca6-2095-4086-b0cc-7c6c39b28762&DisplayLang=en

Friday, August 19, 2005 1:05 AM
  • I have already installed this package. I've done all the things you're supposed to do by every document I've been able to find. I have the right CPU selected, Activesync is working, etc. I even tried to import the registry file ProxyPorts.reg, which I was told is necessary after updating Activesync. This didn't work either. What should I check next?
    Friday, August 19, 2005 8:23 PM
  • The link above is for VS 2003 only.
    Please tell us which version of VS you're using. Is that 2003 or 2005 (which version)?
    Friday, August 19, 2005 8:59 PM
  • Sorry, I'm using 2003. And having this much trouble with it does not encourage me to go to 2005 anytime soon. I'm going to try uninstalling VS and reinstalling it, as an obscure article I found in the knowledge base recommends it. Hopefully I won't just make things worse.
    Friday, August 26, 2005 8:23 PM
  • Connectivity Scenarios have been greatly enhanced in VS 2005 based on feedback we got from VS 2003 users. I do encourage you to try VS 2005 (RC). With VS 2005 you can still target a PPC 2003 device which is using .NET CF 1.0

Thanks
    Amit
    Monday, September 19, 2005 1:58 AM