Async Data Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I need to create an application which will connect to a remote SQL Server across the internet. And I'm worried about its performance, because the .NET Framework does not implement a good set of async methods in its data access layer. I mean, the DataAdapter class doesn't have a BeginFill or a BeginUpdate method, for example. Does anyone know where can I get a workaround for this?

Thank you.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 6:58 PM

All replies

• Using webservices, either .net or native one from sql server 2005. You are building Smart Client Windows application, and there are some sample projects like TaskVision, and also good webcasts about Smart client type of applications.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 7:23 PM
  • Async methods in your DAL aren't very helpful if your UI blocks and waits for them to execute.  So you need to make the UI asynchronous.  And if your UI's asynchronous, why would you care whether or not the DAL methods it's calling asynchronously are themselves asynchronous?

I'm not saying there are no scenarios for this, but most use cases are best handled in the UI.  And the .NET framework gives you plenty of tools for doing that.

Sunday, September 2, 2007 8:26 AM
  • I got you. That's a nice point. But I was willing to show the loading progress to my user, and not only "Loading data... Please wait". Because, let's say his query returned 10000 records. If it were a local network, I wouldn't even care about showing any message, because it would be very fast. But across the internet, the bandwidth will be considerably reduced, since the average bandwidth around here is not as high as in a local network. Using web services sounded a good idea, but I think it might be too painful to implement. I'll take it as a plan B for now.

Thank you.

Sunday, September 2, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

See the site http://www.udaparts.com/document/articles/dialupdb.htm

See the site http://www.udaparts.com/document/articles/asyniis.htm

SocketPro fully supports async data access for free. You can download it and test its performance and scalability
    Monday, September 3, 2007 1:23 AM

• I have the same issue.. Do I need to use these tools for a workaround.. or something more concrete is possible.. I would rather code something raw than going in for third party tools..??
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:31 PM