Stuck on "Install evaluation copy" screen RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building an image directly on 2 different PC's and have the same problem. The initial installation is ok, I'm able to select a template, add drivers, select the hard disk. This portion completes then the system reboots a couple of times until I'm presented with the "Install evaluation copy" screen. There's a next button available but my keyboard and mouse are not responding (no light on mouse and keyboard lights do not change). 

During the installation it does not show any missing drivers. I've tried the thinclient template as well as creating a custom with pretty much all features. 

For kicks I installed Windows 8 Enterprise without adding any drivers and it worked fine.

Am I missing something? I've installed Windows 7 Embedded on these devices in the passed without any issues.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 8:33 PM

Answers

• If that is what is finally resolved, try this image and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, a simple technique is to add all the driver modules and try the image. If the image with all the drivers works then there was a missing module some place.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by Paul77MTL Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:33 PM

All replies

• Are keyboard and mouse the USB interface? All of them are plugged in the USB KVM? My experience is if my keyboard and mouse plug in the KVM, all of them don't have any response. If I add packages "USB" and "USB Device" into image, this problem is solved later.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:07 AM
  • Are keyboard and mouse the USB interface? All of them are plugged in the USB KVM? My experience is if my keyboard and mouse plug in the KVM, all of them don't have any response. If I add packages "USB" and "USB Device" into image, this problem is solved later.

Do you do this from the Toolkit, or when your building the image directly on the machine. when I build a custom image on the machine I don't have any option to add USB or USB device. I do get the list of Modules that can be added but no packages. The only module is "USB UI Support" which I already have enabled.

• Edited by Paul77MTL Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:04 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:03 PM
  • What about missing USB driver modules? In the answer file in ICE, what do you have under hid-class, keyboard, USB, and USB device?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:49 PM
  • What about missing USB driver modules? In the answer file in ICE, what do you have under hid-class, keyboard, USB, and USB device?

I wasn't using ICE before but just tried it. 

I generated a PMQ from the PC and imported it. There is no HID-Class folder but there is a USB folder.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:11 PM
  • I did a validate and added the required modules and have the following now.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:43 PM

If that doesn't work, a simple technique is to add all the driver modules and try the image. If the image with all the drivers works then there was a missing module some place.

• Marked as answer by Paul77MTL Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:33 PM

the latter did the trick. thank you
    • Edited by Paul77MTL Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:51 PM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:51 PM