Internet connection works but "...unable to detect network connection" (Activation related)

Question

• I'm able to surf the web in W8DP and am writing this post from within it - however, when I go to the Activation portion of Control Panel, I get a message stating "Windows is unable to detect a network connection right now. Establish a network to complete activation."

I did notice that in my Local Area Connection status window I have IPv4 connectivity but not IPv6 (IPv6 is checked on in my networking tab. This is a dual boot machine, Win7 on my primary SSD, W8DP on a secondary SSD and IPv6 works properly on Win7.

Any ideas where I should poke around?

Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Rwing90,

This error code translates to ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT. This could be caused by firewall software blocking the Windows Update Site.

Look at the following KB article: I would use the fix it myself section instead of the Run it now since the Hot fix was for Windows 7.

Article ID: 836941 - You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
    Article ID: 883821 - You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821

The 0x80072EE7 error code may occur if the client computer cannot find the correct IP address when it tries to resolve a URL for the Windows Update Web site or for the Microsoft Update Web site. This error may occur if the Hosts file contains a static IP address.

Let us know if this helps with the errors.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 6:21 PM

All replies

• Rwing90,

Are you using a wireless or ethernet network? 

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:09 PM
    Answerer
  • It gave me this error at first, just went away upon reboot.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Ethernet - have tried it with both the mobo ethernet and a Killer NIC card ethernet connection.

@Dylan-Meeus: I wish that was the case. Have rebooted countless times, no change.

Monday, October 3, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Rwing90,

Is your system date and time is correct?

Monday, October 3, 2011 3:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Seems to be. I've tried a refresh as well. Obviously using the troubleshooter doesn't do much. I've also tried "Set Up a Network" to see if it could make a new one (even though I'm connected to the internet [and am typing this with in the preview]). Very stumped. Everything else internet related seems to work - I'm getting my standard 30Mbps download, 6Mbps upload and 5 ping. The only thing that doesn't work are Windows Update and Activation where I get this error code of 0x80072EE7.
    • Edited by Rwing90 Sunday, November 6, 2011 5:46 PM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Hello Rwing90,

This error code translates to ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT. This could be caused by firewall software blocking the Windows Update Site.

Look at the following KB article: I would use the fix it myself section instead of the Run it now since the Hot fix was for Windows 7.

Article ID: 836941 - You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
    Article ID: 883821 - You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821

The 0x80072EE7 error code may occur if the client computer cannot find the correct IP address when it tries to resolve a URL for the Windows Update Web site or for the Microsoft Update Web site. This error may occur if the Hosts file contains a static IP address.

Let us know if this helps with the errors.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 6:21 PM