none
Show assembly in .NET tab RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How to make an assembly to be visible in add reference .NET tab for assemblies.
    Seems there is a need to add a path to the folder where the assemblies are in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\AssemblyFolders".

Isn't there any other solution?

With regards,
    Abijah
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• use gacutil to install your assembly in the gac and it will automatically show up.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:55 PM
  • You need to install the assembly into the GAC to be available there.

Alternatively, you can always use the "Browse" tab of the Add Reference window instead, and have them browse to your assembly.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:55 PM
  • I have installed it in GAC like this : gacutil /i MyAssemby.dll,
    but it is not shown in .NET tab, you have to get it by browse, also do you have any reference saying that if the assembly is installed in GAC it will be shown in .NET tab.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:05 PM
  • I stand corrected. from here :

Displaying an Assembly in the Add Reference Dialog Box The Add Reference dialog box does not automatically display every assembly, even if an assembly has been installed to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC). The

It also lists all ways to get your assembly listed.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:21 PM
  • So seems the only normal solution the one I have already mentioned at the first post :(
    "Set a registry key that specifies the location of assemblies to display. "
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Yes.  If you want it to show up on other systems, you'll need to add that registry key as part of your install process.

If you just want it to show up on your system, you can use the references paths page to add it:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8y13ka7c.aspx

Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:53 PM