Import filter doesn't recognize blanks RRS feed

• Question

• My issue is I have a SQL table I'm importing into PowerPivot. All the data appears correctly. But when I apply a filter to the imported field "ABC" such as "not like X" it shows every row that has text that isn't "X".

BUT I need it to also show the blank ones. How would I filter and still have the rows with blanks and not the rows containing ABC=X.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:14 PM

Answers

• How are you adding the filter to show values that are not like X. 

Using PowerPivot for Excel 2013, I imported a table that had several null values and several values that contained a "U".

When I imported the table, selected the table and then clicked Preview & Filter. On the field I wanted to filter, I clicked the drop-down and choose Text Filters -> Does Not Contain.  I entered a U and then clicked OK.  It gave me a table that still contained the null values.  

You could also import the data using a sql query that filters out those unwanted values. It would be something like SELECT * from TABLE WHERE ABC not like '%X%' or ABC is null.

I'm assuming your blank values are really null and not an empty string or something like that.  If you actually have an empty string, adjust your where clause accordingly.

I hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:40 AM
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:55 PM