none
Which are the prerequisites to install and configure Biztalk ESB Toolkit?

Question

• Biztalk ESB toolkit documentation says:

You must have BizTalk Server installed before you start installing the BizTalk ESB Toolkit.

But BizTalk has a lot of components that can be installed and configured.

Which are the minimum BizTalk components that must be installed on a machine to be able to install and configure Biztalk EBS Toolkit?

and

Which are the minimun BizTalk components that must be configured on a machine to be able to install and configure Biztalk EBS Toolkit?

I have installed and configured all other BizTalk components on other machines belonging to a BizTalk group, and now, I would like to install and configure EBS on other machines. Which components must I to install and configure on those EBS machines?

EDIT:

I'm trying to figure it out myself. The first thing I've done is to trying to install BizTalk EBS Toolkit on a fresh machine. This is the error you get:

Please install BizTalk Server and retry

So I installed all BizTalk sofware components and retried. But when executing the EBS Configuration tool I got the following error:

Unhandled Exception has occurred in your application, bla, bla; NullReferceExceptionI

Next I configured SSO and Group, But when executing EBS Confituration tool I got the error:

Microsoft.Practices.ESB.RulesDeployer has stoped working

Next I configured RulesEngine. And then I managed to configure EBS Toolkit without errors. Hurray!

But I wonder if I also need to configure Runtime? Do I need Runtime to make EBS to work?

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:38 PM

Answers

• Umm...the "architect" should have told you exactly what to install and configure.  If not, you're in a tough spot since installing unnecessary components is a huge net negative.  But hey, more work for you!

So, there is no "ESB Machine".  BizTalk is already the ESB.  ESBT is just some runtime components that are installed on every BizTalk Host Computer in the group.  Everywhere you install BizTalk, you install ESBT.  It's implemented as a BizTalk Application.

The only part of ESBT that you can use without a license (maybe, it's actually not even listed on the PUR, so I didn't officially say this) is the Exception Framework and Exception Management Portal.  Every other ESBT component requires BizTalk Server which requires a license.

Run the ESBT setup and anything you can install won't be grey...I think...been years since I've even seen ESBT in the wild.

• Marked as answer by Jesús López Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 1:32 AM

All replies

• Let me save you a lot of trouble by recommending you don't even think about using ESBT.

Everything you can do with ESBT can be done with basic BizTalk and most of the time it's easier and less complicated.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:43 PM
  • Let me save you a lot of trouble by recommending you don't even think about using ESBT.

Everything you can do with ESBT can be done with basic BizTalk and most of the time it's easier and less complicated.

Thanks for your reply. 

But unfortunately I have no option, I must install and configure ESB. It is a strong requirement from our customer. Could you help me, please?

• Edited by Jesús López Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:59 PM ask for help
    Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:56 PM
  • What exactly is the requirement?  BizTalk is already an ESB.

ESBT doesn't get you or them anything not available in the base product.

If you have to modify an existing app, ESBT has no specific requirements other than BizTalk, and IIS if you're using the Portal.  So just install it.  More importantly, you need to find out if the existing app needs any additional services such ad EDI or BAM.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:18 PM
  • The exact requirement is: installing ESB Toolkit. Customers are customers and the pay us to do what they want.

There is an "architect" at our customer that has "designed" the "architecture". This architecture includes ESB, no matter what reasons you give him.

We have already developed more than 15 services running on ESB. ¨They are deployed on a single test server, all components are installed there. Now we have to install BizTalk for production. The "architect" has stated that we have to install SQL Server on a Failover Cluster. I've done it today. Tomorrow I'm going to install SSO and Master Secret Server as a clustered resource on the SQL Server Instance Failover Cluster. Next I have to install BizTalk on high availability. Tow servers for SSO, Runtime, Several BizTalk hosts, clustering a BizTalk host for FTP, SFPT and MSMQ handlers. Next I have to install ESB on two servers. I also have to configure hardware network balancing.

I have to do it all myself. And this is the first time I install BizTalk for production. I have installed it in high availability configuration on a "laboratory" in Amazon AWS one month ago. But I have not installed "only EBS Toolkit". Documentation is very scanty. So please, help, please.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:41 PM
  • :) Architects, like DBA's, always causing problems they don't have to solve...I've been doing this for a looong time.

Still, installing ESBT isn't hard, you just have to do it.  Yes, the Docs were never great.  Get BizTalk Server proper installed correctly first, then just try ESBT and come back with any specific issues.

One point though, you don't install 'only ESB', you must have BizTalk installed and configured first.

And, only the MSS is clustered, each BizTalk computer has a local SSO that's installed with the BizTalk Server runtime.  Follow the steps exactly.

Finally, if you have to do it over again, that's perfectly fine.  Not a problem.  We've all had to.  Not a big deal.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:58 PM
  • Ok, thanks.

But what components do I need to configure on the "ESB" machine? Do I need the Runtime? I installed and configured it a few minutes ago on a virtual machine in AWS without configuring the runtime. But I don't believe it would work.

The "architect" said to me that you can install only "ESB" and that you don't have to pay licences for those "only ESB" machines. I was skeptical. So I tried and asked on this forum.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:15 PM
  • Umm...the "architect" should have told you exactly what to install and configure.  If not, you're in a tough spot since installing unnecessary components is a huge net negative.  But hey, more work for you!

So, there is no "ESB Machine".  BizTalk is already the ESB.  ESBT is just some runtime components that are installed on every BizTalk Host Computer in the group.  Everywhere you install BizTalk, you install ESBT.  It's implemented as a BizTalk Application.

The only part of ESBT that you can use without a license (maybe, it's actually not even listed on the PUR, so I didn't officially say this) is the Exception Framework and Exception Management Portal.  Every other ESBT component requires BizTalk Server which requires a license.

Run the ESBT setup and anything you can install won't be grey...I think...been years since I've even seen ESBT in the wild.

• Marked as answer by Jesús López Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 1:32 AM