none
Small basic Crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Everything was running and sudenly small basic crashed. No way to run most  basic program. On thursday a windowsupdate was running ??? But today we are sunday ... 

Restarted the computer several times, tried to reinstall basic prime - reinstalled basic 1.2 - etc but I was already going in trouble to try to de-install the whole stuff.   With 1.2 old programs are running but others are crashing. No problems on an old (very slow) computer.

Receiving a whole page of windowsstuff. Any idea how to handle this ?  Is some procedure documented ?     

System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       à System.IO.Path.InternalGetTempFileName(Boolean checkHost)
       à Microsoft.SmallBasic.Library.File.WriteLine(Primitive filePath, Primitive lineNumber, Primitive contents)
       à _SmallBasicProgram.writearraytoconfigfile()
       à _SmallBasicProgram.buttondown()

etc

Sunday, May 19, 2019 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Nonki,

I tried a lot of possibilities. Mainly a roll-back of windows-update, reinstalling some directories from backup and running the update again. But I got still the error-messages and was going in trouble with mail !  

With a lack of imagination, before destroying the computer, I tried to clear the mail problem with one of this old commands "scanpst.exe" and then cleaned the navigator caches, temp files from user, windows, memory, third party application files, incident files, windows defender, journalfiles from windows, défragmentation of registers, etc.

So no idea what caused the problem but small basic is running again ! 

Your "small" program is really "great" !

result = File.writeline("C:\samples\myconfig.txt",1,"Box")
    TextWindow.WriteLine(result)

something I will include in my programs ! 

Thanks a lot

eddy 

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:29 PM

All replies

• I don't know what happened and based on the info you gave I would try the following (check SB at each step - don't do the next unlesss the problem remains):

1] Ensure all updates are installed and rebooted from.

2] Clean temp folder files (%temp%) - if you are not sure what I mean by this then ask.

i.e. Close all open apps, type "Delete Temporary Files" to START and delete "Temporary Files".

3] Uninstall SB 1.2 and re-install SB 1.2. (You could do the same for SB-Prime, but it isn't installed just files in a folder so I can't see any issue there).

4] Delete, move or rename the SB installation lib folder to make sure no extensions are enabled.

Sunday, May 19, 2019 7:41 PM
  • Hello Litdev, Reinstalled the whole stuff, removed the temp files etc

The real problem is that some programs are running correctly and others craches with error 

"The file exists"  WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

So I tried to find out what was happening with the files and I know we like singleliners the singleliner :

File.writeline("C:\samples\myconfig.txt",1,"Box")

is giving allready  the error.

so I tried to write to some other disks D:\samples and F:\samples with the same errors !!!

Writing from other applications such as exell, mail etc don't give any problems. So I don't see a securityproblem with the directories, but what can be the reason I can't write from SB  ?  

Just tried another "trick" changed to an other administrator-user, normally only a backup user, and there it WORKS ! 

But what can be the problem - some security issue with the program ???  

• Edited by Eddy Abts Monday, May 20, 2019 8:39 AM
    Sunday, May 19, 2019 9:46 PM
  • I don't know what the problem is, but from what you describe it seems like permissions of an account.
    Monday, May 20, 2019 7:04 PM
  • I don't know what the problem is, but from what you describe it seems like permissions of an account.

Hi Eddy, can you make some file in C:\Samples folder with other program - such as Notepad or Paint?

Nonki Takahashi

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 2:32 AM
  • Hey Nonki,

I really don't understand what is happening. Writing from word, etc NO problems.

From another session also as admin, or another computer NO problem. 

I am still going in trouble writing to another disk, or stick even starting Microsoft\Small Basic\SB.exe from the stick, or using old exe files from the stick. 

Reinstalled small basic from a new SmallBasic.msi download, etc. Replaced the Microsoft\smal bassic directory from another computer, etc

So it seems the problem is something as "only" small basic don't like to write "only" when I am using my useraccount. I don't know if it is possible at "application-level" to lock write-access to a user, even if this user has admin rights. But in this case it is clear this seems to be a  windows issue and a lack of personnal knowledge. As Admin, 73 years old I don't think it can be a parental security issue but You never knows !   

For your help ... during one week you can dowload the program I am working on  to verify if its running on your computer.

https://fil.email/stK4VzsL

• Edited by Eddy Abts Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:49 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:47 AM
  • Hi Eddy, I tried following code on my PC.

Before making a folder "C:\samples", this program shows "FAILED".  And after making the folder, this program shows "SUCCESS".

My PC environment:

• Small Basic v1.2
    • Windows 10 Home
    • .NET Framework 4.5
    • Windows Defender (no other security programs)

Nonki Takahashi

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:32 PM
  • Hi Nonki,

I tried a lot of possibilities. Mainly a roll-back of windows-update, reinstalling some directories from backup and running the update again. But I got still the error-messages and was going in trouble with mail !  

With a lack of imagination, before destroying the computer, I tried to clear the mail problem with one of this old commands "scanpst.exe" and then cleaned the navigator caches, temp files from user, windows, memory, third party application files, incident files, windows defender, journalfiles from windows, défragmentation of registers, etc.

So no idea what caused the problem but small basic is running again ! 

Your "small" program is really "great" !

something I will include in my programs ! 

Thanks a lot

eddy 

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:29 PM
  • Well done - glad its working - my guess would be the temp files - these can get orphaned by Small Basic a lot.
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 9:05 PM