upgrade SQL 2012 cluster OS from Win 2008 R2 to Win 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Dears , I need your support & advice allow upgrade SQL 2012 cluster OS from Win 2008 R2 to Win 2012 R2

but I prefer not to go with in-place upgrade . is it applicable to add windows 2012 R2 new node into Win 2008 R2 cluster ?

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:32 PM

All replies

• You cannot perform an in-place upgrade for the OS because it is running a failover cluster (You can if it is running Windows Server 2012 R2). You cannot also mix Windows Server 2012 R2 with Windows Server 2008 R2 in a failover cluster. You need to perform a side-by-side migration.

Edwin M Sarmiento Microsoft Data Platform MVP | Microsoft Certified Master/Solutions Master
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Learn SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery

Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:29 AM
  • At all this is more a Windows OS related question then a SQL Server one; the topic of this forum. You may better ask this question in a Windows Server forum.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:37 AM
  • Dears , I need your support & advice allow upgrade SQL 2012 cluster OS from Win 2008 R2 to Win 2012 R2

but I prefer not to go with in-place upgrade . is it applicable to add windows 2012 R2 new node into Win 2008 R2 cluster ?

In place upgrade is not supported as already mentioned. You cannot have mix of two different windows edition. So you have to get 2 new boxes install windows 2012 R2 OS enable cluster services, join them in cluster and then install sql server in cluster aware mode. Finally migrate databases via backup and restore.

it is good that you are using windows 2012 R2 OS is has lot of new features related to clustering

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:51 AM
  • but in case of using side by side mechanism this means SQL cluster instance name will be changed , however 

there are application connected to that SQL cluster instance , how we can overcome this issue ?

Friday, September 29, 2017 7:45 PM
  • You can use a DNS alias to point to the new virtual network name after the migration

Edwin M Sarmiento Microsoft Data Platform MVP | Microsoft Certified Master/Solutions Master
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Learn SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery

Friday, September 29, 2017 9:10 PM
  • i'm having this error when i tried to run SQL upgrade advisory 

Unable to connect to server. Reason: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Friday, September 29, 2017 10:25 PM
  • i'm having this error when i tried to run SQL upgrade advisory 

Unable to connect to server. Reason: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

What is version of UG you downloaded ? Please make sure SQL Server is up and running and you are connecting correctly.

Regarding cluster naming. You can install new cluster with any name and when you want to do cutover stop application and database service on old cluster rename it to some other name. Delete objects from AD related to old name and after 15-20 mins go and rename the new cluster with old name.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Tuesday, October 10, 2017 12:25 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:26 AM