SQL 2017 Multi-Instance SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• Why was single-server multi-instancing left out of SQL 2017 SSRS?

This is going to cause an insane increase in licensing costs and severely inhibit our desire to upgrade and stay with SSRS.

Is this going to be added back, soon? What a horrible decision to remove something that has been in the product for 10+ years.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 12:28 PM

Answers

• For those interested, here is the link to the Azure/Connect entry which is currently under review.

Please go upvote and leave impact statements there.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/33212713-restore-multiple-instance-support-for-reporting-se

• Proposed as answer by Ramakrishnan.lh Wednesday, June 20, 2018 3:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by mfearskp Friday, June 22, 2018 1:18 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hi mfearskp,

Based on my test , the SSRS 2017 seems to has only one instance currently. If you want to install multiple instances, I think you need to create multiple report server databases and switch it in Reporting Service Configuration Manager each time when you need to use it. This is by design.

I suggest you submit the requirement at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/.  If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
    Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:24 AM
  • That still does not answer the question as to WHY it was removed.  
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 5:47 PM

• I suggest you submit the requirement at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/.  

Connect has been killed. The new place is https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:39 PM
  • Apologies if this answer is completely off base, but I was under the impression that this functionality was replaced when they made SSRS a standalone product with SQL 2017.

So, though it doesn't appear that you can multi-instance, you can certainly have more than one instance pointing to the same SQL database server (with different <g class="gr_ gr_396 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="396" id="396">db</g> names of course), though they (SSRS instances) do seem to need to be running on separate servers.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not, but that is how we have configured SSRS in our shop.

Regards.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:16 AM
  • Just discovered this - FFS MS!

First they screw us over by changing the interface for creating custom authentication from SQL 2016 onwards and now you can't install more than 1 instance on the same box.

And if anything they've made the SSRS config tool even worse. It has unhandled exceptions if you try to do something whilst the SSRS service is stopped and runs slower.

I hated SSRS before when on 2008R2/2014 now with all these FU changes I really, really want to rip it out and never have to deal with it again.

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:12 PM
  • Hello,

I am facing the same issue installing multiple instances of reporting service on SQL 2017 SSRS. I never had this issue before with SQL 2012 or 2014. 

I had installed SQL server 2017 standard version on Azure VM and had configured SSRS instance, but when I am trying to configure second SSRS instance, it is not allowing me to configure a new named instance.

Could you please let me know you have a solution to this or this is by design in SQL server 2017.

Thanks,

Safi Choudhury
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Hello,

I am facing the same issue installing multiple instances of reporting service on SQL 2017 SSRS. I never had this issue before with SQL 2012 or 2014. 

I had installed SQL server 2017 standard version on Azure VM and had configured SSRS instance, but when I am trying to configure second SSRS instance, it is not allowing me to configure a new named instance.

Could you please let me know you found a solution to this or this is by design in SQL server 2017.

Thanks,

Safi Choudhury
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Unfortunately Safi, it's by design.

MS from SQL Server Reporting Services 2016 onwards has been giving us the finger. They don't care they just change and remove functionality without a second thought for the poor saps they use the product.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 4:39 PM
  • For those interested, here is the link to the Azure/Connect entry which is currently under review.

Please go upvote and leave impact statements there.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server/suggestions/33212713-restore-multiple-instance-support-for-reporting-se

• Proposed as answer by Ramakrishnan.lh Wednesday, June 20, 2018 3:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by mfearskp Friday, June 22, 2018 1:18 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update. Can you please mark the posts as answer? In this way other people in the community will be benefited.

Thanks for understanding.

Regards,

Ram

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

I believe I have discovered an alternative path forward today: Docker containers.

The following article explains how to use Docker containers to create multiple SSRS instances on the same machine: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/containers/178448/ - In theory, all you need to do is bind the exposed port for SSRS to a unique port for each container instance.

I had stumbled upon this answer today while trying to figure out how to create repeatable test environment for Microsoft's Powershell Module ReportingServicesTools, and it occurred to me this would be a cheap way to also do multiple instances of SSRS on the same machine.

NOTE: I have not yet tested this, just sharing my clever idea with everyone.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:03 PM
  • It's neither cheap or easy as it requires skills and infrastructure and the simple fact of the matter is MS should never have screwed us over like this it is completely unforgiveable.

However for those that have the skills and infrastructure it's certainly worth a try. Given you can't use SSRS on Azure (Except in a full blown VM) then it seems unlikely that MS would have gone to the effort of making it something you can containerise.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:07 PM