Can't detect data source location. Please specify ExecutionLocation in CopyActivity. RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to use the Azure data factory to copy data from Azure SQL database to Azure search index. I have created the pipeline, dataset and linked services correctly. I am getting following error message after pipeline/activity execution:

Can't detect data source location. Please specify ExecutionLocation in CopyActivity.
    Any idea how to resolve this issue

• Edited by i_JaiSoni Monday, May 22, 2017 10:45 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 10:45 AM

All replies

• The message means, in the copy activity within the pipeline, use the executionLocation property within typeProperties (peer of source and sink) to specify the region, like "executionLocation": "East US".  See docs here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/data-factory-data-movement-activities#a-nameglobalaglobally-available-data-movement

-Arthur

Monday, May 22, 2017 4:28 PM
  • AzureSearch doesn't support auto region detection so will require user to specify an ExecutionLocation in the copy activity definition, so that copy could happen on the region as you expected. Please try update your activity definition  like this:

"activities":[ 

{

"name": "SqlServertoAzureSearchIndex",

"description": "copy activity",

"type": "Copy",

"typeProperties": {

"source": {

"type": "SqlSource”

},

"sink": {

"type": "AzureSearchIndexSink"

},