none
Outtlok AddIn not visible in Outlook when .msi is run. RRS feed

• Question

• I've created this Outlook button AddIn that needs to be displayed on the "Home" tab in Outlook.

Created this and also a setup project to be able to deploy the .msi files on to the client machines.

The issue Im facing is, when the setup project is "Built","Rebuilt" or "Install"ed the button appears in Outlook. If I run the XX.msi file or the setup.exe file, the button doesn't show up on the tab.

My OS is 32 bit and MSOffice is 32 bit as well. I have the registry setting in HKEY_USER. 

Also when I try modifying the prerequisites location to local in the Setup project, the "Build" action throws me a missing dotnetfx3.5Clientprofile.exe error for which I installed the client profile but in vain.

If this is unselected, and the project is built, I again see the AddIn in outlook. So In any case the Build or Install function works.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 8:49 AM

Answers

• I'm not sure what you mean with issue 1. Does installing your addin disable all other existing addins? If that's so the only reason I can think of for that would be if your addin is being installed while Outlook is running and somehow crashes everything.

If these problems are happening on only some machines the usual suspects would be some prerequisite or dependency not being there on those machines, some common link between those problem machines such as a common problem addin or some security setting, or crashing code. Your issues don't seem to involve crashing code.

Can you isolate some common factors where your issues appear?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:13 PM
  • Hello Lady,

> But a few are complaining of being able to see the addIn only after reboot

Please make sure that you closed all instances of Outlook before running the add-in installer, i.e. Outlook.exe should not be listed in the list of running processes.

> 1 other machine saw all the existing addIns being disabled.

Did you have a chance to look at the Trust center setting in Outlook on the problematic machine. Do you have any antivirus installed on the problematic PC?

Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hello Lady,

Most probably you didn't include the required prerequisites to the installer due to the fact that an installer works fine on your machine. Please check out the Deploying an Office Solution section in MSDN for more information. It describes all the required steps for creating ClickOnce and MSI installers.

Do you see the add-in the list of COM add-ins in Outlook? If so, is it unchecked? Is your add-in listed in the Disabled items list?

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in  the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing. When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.   

You can read more about this in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 9:36 AM
  • Hi Eugene,

I have selected the prerequisites in the Setup project. Followed this article (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mcsuksoldev/archive/2010/10/01/building-and-deploying-an-outlook-2010-add-in-part-2-of-2.aspx?Redirected=true) to create the setup project (msi installer).

On build or install from the dev project, I see it in the list of "active" addIns and on the tab.

On running the msi file directly, the Control Panel - Programs and Features shows it as installed but no trace of it in either active or disabled addins.

One action I do to test all this is, after rebuilding the setup project it adds the button to the tab, so I go and remove it from the tab (by selecting it from the addIns and saying "remove") and un-install it from Control Panel.

Then run the msi. Is this incorrect?

Thanks again.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 11:57 AM
  • No. You need to run setup.exe instead. Msi file doesn't check the required prerequisites.

VSTO registers add-ins when you build them in Visual Studio. To unregister the add-in you need to choose the Clean option form the project context menu. Before running the installer you should unregister it in Visual Studio.

Do you see the add-in in the list of COM add-ins in Outlook after running setup.exe?

Monday, April 28, 2014 11:56 AM
  • Are you setting the addin registration in HKEY_USER or HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

An Outlook COM addin should be registered in HKCU for use only by the logged-in user, or in HKLM for all users on that machine.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, April 28, 2014 1:56 PM
  • Ok, After hours of trying to make it work in VS2010, I tried creating a VS2012 AddIn and a VS2012 setup project. They work fine on many machines.

But a few are complaining of being able to see the addIn only after reboot and 1 other machine saw all the existing addIns being disabled.

Any ideas what could make this happen on those machines?

• Edited by .NetLady Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:54 AM wrong english
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:53 AM
  • Thanks Ken.

I set it per USER. The Addin works fine after having created it in VS2012. 

As written above, I'm only having issues with the setup now working differently on a few machines.

Issue 1 - Disabling the existing addIns

Issue 2- Reboot required for the addIn to be visible on one machine.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:57 AM
  • I'm not sure what you mean with issue 1. Does installing your addin disable all other existing addins? If that's so the only reason I can think of for that would be if your addin is being installed while Outlook is running and somehow crashes everything.

If these problems are happening on only some machines the usual suspects would be some prerequisite or dependency not being there on those machines, some common link between those problem machines such as a common problem addin or some security setting, or crashing code. Your issues don't seem to involve crashing code.

Can you isolate some common factors where your issues appear?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:13 PM
  • Hello Lady,

> But a few are complaining of being able to see the addIn only after reboot

Please make sure that you closed all instances of Outlook before running the add-in installer, i.e. Outlook.exe should not be listed in the list of running processes.

> 1 other machine saw all the existing addIns being disabled.

Did you have a chance to look at the Trust center setting in Outlook on the problematic machine. Do you have any antivirus installed on the problematic PC?

Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:47 AM
  • Hey. It is late, but in my case I figured it out. It was all about registry key.

When I am installing .msi then right registry key isnt appearing. So I needed to implement it by myself. It is not a problem if you are using SCCM. The problem is to generate that key.

Sometimes you can repair .msi and it will generate the right key afterall. Then you can just export it. But sometimes not. Last time I needed to do that way:

1. I installed my .msi. I looked up where it puts his files. (something like program files(x86) and Addon name).

2. I removed those files by uninstalling the program from the control panel. And copied there my files from debug .vsto version. Now I have debug version of vsto files in the same dirrectory as msi had. 

3. Look up, that any version of that plugin is uninstalled. And install it from .vsto that you put there.

4. Now you wil have registry key at: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\MyaddinsName]

Export it out. And change 

"Manifest"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\MyaddinsNamefolder\\MyaddinsName.vsto"
    "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003

on : 

"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
    "Manifest"="file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/MyaddinsNamefolder/MyaddinsName.vsto|vstolocal"

5. Now delete the .vsto installation from programs. And look for registry key. It must be gone to.

6. Install .msi and then run your registry key.

7. And Outlook must see it.

8. On the deployment use two files.

• Edited by vlady34343 Thursday, August 6, 2020 2:09 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2020 2:01 PM