none
Automatic View with Bird's Eye in V8 RRS feed

• Question

• In Bing Maps V7 we had the option for automatic view with bird's eye.  If you zoomed out it would then go to aerial and further out street view.  In V8 the automatic view does not seem to available.

I decided to write my own automatic view as my users have come to love this feature and I'm getting complaints V8 feels like a step backwards for user experience.  

However, I discovered the bird's eye view gets stuck at it's maximum zoomed out level and the map does not raise any events if I try to zoom out further.  I figure I could try the scroll wheel event but that would not cover the the +/- buttons (if that would even raise an event).  

Is there a way to bust out of bird's eye based off user zoom level input?

Will Automatic view ever come back?

At a minimum the map should render aerial rather than getting stuck.  

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:32 PM

Answers

• Automatic view is deprecated and will not be coming back, at least not in the way form that it was in V7. It was the number one cause of negative feedback in V7. In V7 there was a thing called synthview which was a combination of aerial, bridseye and screenshots of the old 3D maps that were combined to create birdseye like views when zoomed out. This helped with the transition, but had a lot of mangled imagery of various ages which caused a lot of DSAT. 

As you noted it is possible to work around this and create a somewhat similar experience using the mouse wheel event. The zoom button wouldn't work though, but you can easily hide those using map options and display a custom zoom button instead. I've put together a code sample that does this here: http://bingmapsv8samples.azurewebsites.net/#Map%20View%20Automatic%20Transition

Note that the bridseye experience in V8 is still being improved and will change with time. 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 5:28 PM

All replies

• Automatic view is deprecated and will not be coming back, at least not in the way form that it was in V7. It was the number one cause of negative feedback in V7. In V7 there was a thing called synthview which was a combination of aerial, bridseye and screenshots of the old 3D maps that were combined to create birdseye like views when zoomed out. This helped with the transition, but had a lot of mangled imagery of various ages which caused a lot of DSAT. 

As you noted it is possible to work around this and create a somewhat similar experience using the mouse wheel event. The zoom button wouldn't work though, but you can easily hide those using map options and display a custom zoom button instead. I've put together a code sample that does this here: http://bingmapsv8samples.azurewebsites.net/#Map%20View%20Automatic%20Transition

Note that the bridseye experience in V8 is still being improved and will change with time. 

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 5:28 PM

Thanks for the reply!  That example didn't seem to work when I checked it. It just zooms in and out with the road view.  But I will take the path you suggested.  

If the navigation bar had the Bird's Eye available in the drop down it would help.  I suppose that will be coming at a later time? The experience of having to toggle birds eye and aerial/road in different places makes for an awkward UX.   

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 5:51 PM