none
Providers: MSDAORA vs MSDAORA.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Can someone tell me the difference between these two providers?:

MSDAORA and MSDAORA.1

Is MSDAORA used for COM/ADO and MSDAORA.1 used with ADO.NET?

Thanks!

• Edited by fmSTYX Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:51 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:34 PM

Answers

• I don't know why there are two, but they both refer to the same Microsoft OLEDB Provider for Oracle library. You can use either one with ADO.NET (System.Data.OleDb) but you may want to use the native Oracle's ODP.NET library instead. The Microsoft OLEDB Provider was written to support up to Oracle OCI level 7 (several versions ago), which Oracle doesn't even support anymore.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by fmSTYX Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:19 PM

All replies

• I don't know why there are two, but they both refer to the same Microsoft OLEDB Provider for Oracle library. You can use either one with ADO.NET (System.Data.OleDb) but you may want to use the native Oracle's ODP.NET library instead. The Microsoft OLEDB Provider was written to support up to Oracle OCI level 7 (several versions ago), which Oracle doesn't even support anymore.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by fmSTYX Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Thanks Paul, I was just curious why I see 2 difference references in connection strings and I have never seen anyone explain why there are two of them. I am not going to use these as I will be using the Oracle's supplied provider - ODP.NET for .NET and OraOLEDB.Oracle for COM/ADO.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:47 PM