Most of the IP addresses are blacklisted RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Azure,

I'm evaluating Azure VM and found out most of your IP addresses are blacklisted for the mail server(SMTP).

I use postfix and the configuration works on the other clouds(i.e. AWS, Rackspace). This is the error I've got

status=bounced (host aspmx.l.google.com[74.125.25.27] said: 550-5.7.1 [104.42.19.239      12] Our system has detected that this message is 550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam sent to Gmail, 550-5.7.1 this message has been blocked.

Could you please help?

Thanks,

Friday, January 23, 2015 3:26 PM

Answers

• Thank Manesh for your reply.

Yes, I can send the same message to the same group from any other cloud/CDN but not from the Azure instances though.

As you can see the postfix output in the first post, it must be a block from Google.

I'm using authenticated SMTP user now so there is no more issue. I had the same experience with one of the dedicated IP that was blacklisted, I wasn't able to send to a group without using authenticated user.

Anyway, thanks both of you for the replies.

• Marked as answer by Susie Long Monday, February 2, 2015 3:32 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What have you configured on the Azure VM for sending Email? Did you define any port for SMTP? If yes, please create an endport on the VM with that port and open that port in Windows Firewall to see if the issue persists.

How to Set Up Endpoints to a Virtual Machine

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 26, 2015 9:03 AM
  • Hi Susie,

Thanks for the reply. I've a postfix installed and the local alerts are sent through the postfix.

I'm using it for out going mail, do I really need to setup SMTP port in the Endpoints?

Just for your information though, I can sent test mail to a single email(direct) but not to the (group)alias email address. I believe the endpoints configuration is not an issue here.

Thanks,

Sai

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:34 PM
  • Are you able to send the same message to the same group from AWS/Rackspace? This is the relevant Google documentation I could find. https://support.google.com/a/answer/3726730?hl=en https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126

Not sure, if Google is filtering using incoming IP address or is it looking at the message content / sender authentication context.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:12 PM
  • Thank Manesh for your reply.

Yes, I can send the same message to the same group from any other cloud/CDN but not from the Azure instances though.

As you can see the postfix output in the first post, it must be a block from Google.

I'm using authenticated SMTP user now so there is no more issue. I had the same experience with one of the dedicated IP that was blacklisted, I wasn't able to send to a group without using authenticated user.

Anyway, thanks both of you for the replies.

• Marked as answer by Susie Long Monday, February 2, 2015 3:32 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 4:34 PM
  • If you use unauthenticated sending, at some point any system will mark that as a spam (assume our intention is to send more mails in future). Great to hear that you are unblocked now and Azure is working for your scenario. :)
    Friday, January 30, 2015 8:07 PM