C++ Metro samples

Question

• Hi,

I've installed Visual Studio 11 beta on Windows 8 customer preview, and I'm trying to build the C++ Metro style app samples, but I haven't been able to build one so far. I originally tried building the Direct3D samples, but got a linker error, so I thought I'd try something simpler to start with, and tried the Clipboard sample. However, something called create_task() is giving me the following compilation error:

error C3861: 'create_task' : identifier not found.

I've looked to see if create_task() is defined anywhere, but I can't find it.

I seem to be getting what look like namespace related issues in every sample I try build. Is there by any chance something further I need to do to get my environment set up?

Thanks for any advice,

Robert

Friday, June 01, 2012 5:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Robert,

I'd suggest installing the Windows 8 Release Preview and Visual Studio 2012 RC. The current samples target that environment rather than the Consumer Preview and VS 11 beta. I just confirmed that the Clipboard sample from http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Clipboard-App-sample-309ec122 compiles and runs cleanly for me with the RP.

If you still have problems then please post again with a link to the specific sample and error message.

--Rob

Friday, June 01, 2012 5:39 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob,

The Windows 8 customer preview I have installed at the moment is 64-bit. Do you have any advice on whether there's any preference between a 64-bit/32-bit version of the operating system for ease of use with Visual Studio 2012 RC? Or does it not matter?

Robert

Friday, June 01, 2012 6:15 PM
  • It doesn't matter. If you have 4GB or more memory then I would install 64-bit. If you have less memory then I would install 32-bit (and get more memory ;) )

--Rob

Friday, June 01, 2012 6:19 PM
    Owner