how to build a configuration dialog for lightswitch RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a simple lightswitch app for a client.  What I'm looking for is a way to configure the database connection during install.  I'm not finding much info on this, could someone point me in the right direction?

Basically, I don't know what the IP or hostname of the database server might be, so I'd like to select this during the install process.

Thanks.

sig.na.ture

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:42 PM

Answers

• I think Sven is correct, you will have to opt for another 3rd party installation tool that provides that support. You can perhaps publish the app to localhost somewhere and use that as a repository for creating the installation from.

Regards, Xander. My Blog

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:18 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure but I think it's not possible in LS.

Sven Elm

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:15 AM
  • I think Sven is correct, you will have to opt for another 3rd party installation tool that provides that support. You can perhaps publish the app to localhost somewhere and use that as a repository for creating the installation from.

Regards, Xander. My Blog

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, May 15, 2014 1:47 AM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:18 AM
  • Is it possible to use a system named ODBC data source?  This way I could just add one from control panel (or powershell) before the install?

sig.na.ture

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:15 PM
  • I don't think LS can use ODBC.  Dynamic conn strings is a long standing request.  You can vote for it here:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4406782-allow-lightswitch-data-source-connection-string-to

Josh

• Edited by joshbooker Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:21 PM
  • will do.  seems like a SUPER obvious feature...

I'm going to try a couple other things.  manipulating the hosts file to point the database hostname to the actual db server, and also hijacking DNS on the router to do the same.  I expect one or both of those methods should work, but thats way less than ideal.

sig.na.ture

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:38 PM