none
MFA - Disable office phone

Question

• hello team,

i have a question about MFA Cloud

you have several options (SMS / call phone, call (office) phone, code / notification via mobile app)

I want to disable office phone

how can I do?

I see on the MFA portal that we can choose and disable some verification options but you just have the possibility to disable call phone

so, it disable both call phone and office phone :(

Is it a limitation ? or is it a way to do it ?

thanks,

Thursday, March 9, 2017 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Thibault,

Thank you for your question!

If you enable 'Call to phone' as a verification option, users with an office phone configured for their account will be able to use it for verification. 

Since there is no way to prevent a user from configuring their account with an office phone, there is currently no way to limit 'Call to phone' verification to cell phone only, and not to allow office phone. 

Thanks,

Yossi

Thursday, March 9, 2017 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Thibault,

If you enable 'Call to phone' as a verification option, users with an office phone configured for their account will be able to use it for verification. 

Since there is no way to prevent a user from configuring their account with an office phone, there is currently no way to limit 'Call to phone' verification to cell phone only, and not to allow office phone. 

Thanks,

Yossi

Thursday, March 9, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Thibault, your help is appreciated, but I just wanted to point out that since my company doesn't include each individual user's office phone number and extension in their Active Directory account attributes, having the check box available for "Office Phone" results in many confused users. The user experience is that if they check the box to use "Office Phone", there is no phone number listed, and they cannot enter one. Instead they see a note in red saying they'll need to contact their administrator (me) to "change" their office phone number. This causes un-necessary support calls to me, and as the only support person in my company with enough knowledge or access to these settings, I am now overwhelmed with support calls and I cannot keep up with this. If I could simply disable the option for "Office Phone" this would not be an issue. Since the "Office Phone" option is distinctly different from the "Authentication Phone" option for users to select, there should be a way to enable/disable each option individually from an administrators perspective.

I'm also posting this as a feedback suggestion.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 8:03 PM
  • This is very similar to an issue that our org is facing. We have MFA disabled for users when on prem, and enabled for when accessing off site. So if a user selects office phone for MFA, they're not going to be able to answer it while they're off site which is the only time it would come in.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:55 PM
  • Hi Thibault,

Thanks,

Yossi

we do have a similar quest, is there any update done on Azure MFA to suppress/disable displaying Office phone

Thanks

Vinod

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:33 PM