none
New Workflow Manager can replace K2 workflow product? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Workflow manager 1.0 can replace K2 workflow? Can some one share what are the capabilities that K2 offers is already available as part of new workflow manager.

Thanks a lot in advance

Parag

Friday, July 5, 2013 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi

K2 provide lot of additional activities on top of SharePoint workflow which would help enable the non tech users creating complex workflow process

http://www.k2underground.com/forums/t/15608.aspx

Thanks

Girish

Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Hi Parag

Here is my take on your question.  The value proposition of K2 hasn’t changed with SharePoint 2013.  SharePoint 2013 workflow development will be a full blown development project.  Besides the workflow itself which would be coding the business would need to build (in my experience the business typically doesn't know it needs these types of features until after the first workflow goes live):

What if you want to…

• Reassign work to another user?
    • Set an “Out of Office” and nominate a substitute?
    • Route to a role versus a person or group?
    • Have variations of the process per department?
    • Monitor performance of my process?
    • Approve work from a mobile device?
    • Call a sub-process?
    • Escalate work after a specific time based on my company’s working hours?
    • Have robust auditing trails for regulatory compliancy?
    • Change policies/rules dynamically?
    • Ensure tasks I assign cannot be deleted?
      • Have multiple versions running at the same

Besides custom building all of the above almost certainly it would be on a process by process basis which means it would be rebuilt continuously
    • Edited by Tim Knechtel Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:28 AM Corrections
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hi Parag,

It depends on your budget, resources and time frames. Financially, the cost of K2 can be a significant initial outlay. For our current project, it came down to two options (1) Buy K2 and implement it or (2) Install Workflow Manager 1.0 and build a framework on top of it to suit our requirements. As Tim correctly pointed out, there is a lot that K2 brings out-of-the-box. So if you have the money - it is a worthwhile investment. For those (such as us) who don't need all of the bells and whistles and who aren't prepared to outlay the significant costs, Workflow Manager 1.0 can be extended to integrate with additionally coded components and databases, resource and time-permitting. We have successfully developed our own components (in C#) that function in similar ways to some of those provided by K2, within a reasonably small time-frame and cost.

Darian.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:56 AM