Can Windows Media Player run as Metro app?

Question

• Can we run WMP as Metro application?

I would like to play .h264 video in DXVA mode in Metro style. WMP does not seem to be a Metro application. Will WMP be a Metro application for Window 8?

IE 10 does not support Flash in Metro mode and can not playback h264 video.

What about Media Center?

Will Windows 8 have any Metro style player?

Thanks,

Jirong

Monday, November 28, 2011 2:54 PM

Answers

I would like to play .h264 video in DXVA mode in Metro style. WMP does not seem to be a Metro application. Will WMP be a Metro application for Window 8?

What about Media Center?

I don't know the answer to all these questions (nobody does) but if you use IE10 to go to

http://www.youtube.com/html5

you will see that IE10 is supposedly compatible at least with YouTube's usage of h.264. If you join the HTML5 trial, I believe YouTube will play in IE10 (it doesn't work for me, but I think that is a video card issue).

As to your other questions, it would make sense to me if WMP remained in desktop mode, but WMC were moved into Metro (perhaps as separate applications).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, November 28, 2011 4:06 PM

All replies

What about Media Center?

I don't know the answer to all these questions (nobody does) but if you use IE10 to go to

http://www.youtube.com/html5

you will see that IE10 is supposedly compatible at least with YouTube's usage of h.264. If you join the HTML5 trial, I believe YouTube will play in IE10 (it doesn't work for me, but I think that is a video card issue).

As to your other questions, it would make sense to me if WMP remained in desktop mode, but WMC were moved into Metro (perhaps as separate applications).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, November 28, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Thanks, Dave for your reply.

I joined the HTML5 trial and now IE10 can playback h264 video with DXVA in Metro mode.

Jirong

Monday, November 28, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Jirong,

I just wanted to confirm that the WMP OCX will not be supported from metro IE. However it does work as expected from desktop IE. If you are developing a Metro style application you have two choices for playing media from your application. You can use the “video” tag from HTML5 / JavaScript or you can use the “MediaPlayer / MediaElement” from your C# or VB application.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows Media SDK Technologies
    Microsoft Developer Services
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:44 AM
  • James,

Thanks for the information. Does this mean Microsoft will not have a Metro style player that can play Blu-ray disk?

Jirong

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:23 PM