Unable to enable .NET 3.5.1. on Windows 8 developer preview

Question

• I am getting an error trying to install .NET 3.5.1, which is required for many programs I use. I get the following error:
    Monday, October 03, 2011 10:01 PM

Answers

• This error typically indicates that your Windows is trying to connect to Beta Windows Update source (https://beta.update.microsoft.com), which it needs until it has not been RTMed but fails to do so.

The problem typically appears when your computer with Windows Developer Preview is joined to a domain and has WSUS service's Group Policy Object (GPO) applied to it. The WSUS update policy forces your computer to retrieve updates from WSUS server (unless your WSUS server has not been configured to obtain updates from beta update server; and by default it is not configured to do so).

Try the following:

1. Temporary disable WSUS group policy on your computer. The best way would be to contact your system administrator and have him place your computer to a separate OU, but you may disable to policy by applying the following registry patch:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000000

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDevMgrUpdate"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "NoUpdateCheck"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]
    "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000000

Once applied, you will see that you can change options that have been previously disabled and were not available for you to change.

2. Change the settings to retrieve updates but let you choose them. Do NOT reboot your computer.

3. [optional] Install the Windows Live! essentials on your computer (choosing Windows Live Messenger is enough)

4. Try to add the .NET Framework 3.5.1 feature once again.

Check the %systemroot%\WindowsUpdate.log. Checking the log should show that your Windows Update client is connecting to

"https://beta.update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx"
    web service and not the https://windowsupdates.yourcompany.com server.

5. When finished, remove the Windows Live Essentials.

6. Your corporate WSUS policy will be applied with the next Group Policy refresh (or you can apply them manually by running gpupdate command at the command prompt).

Alternatively, try the following command

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs

where D:\ is your mounted Windows Developer Preview setup ISO.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10:11 AM
  • nascentbug,

Are there any Microsoft .NET Framework versions showing in Programs and Features?

I have successfully installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.

I did not use any of the methods noted to date in this thread...what I did do is install Windows Live Essentials 2011, which prompted me to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.

See the post on my site titled "Windows 8 Developer Preview":

Windows 8 Developer Preview

Only took a brief time to do so, perhaps this may work for you...

Swan
    Friday, October 07, 2011 9:10 AM

All replies

• I am getting an error trying to install .NET 3.5.1, which is required for many programs I use. I get the following error:
    Do you have any antivirus or firewall running? Try to disable them, also make sure you have Internet access because unlike Windows 7 Windows 8 have to download hte package from Internet.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    Monday, October 03, 2011 10:55 PM
  • This error typically indicates that your Windows is trying to connect to Beta Windows Update source (https://beta.update.microsoft.com), which it needs until it has not been RTMed but fails to do so.

The problem typically appears when your computer with Windows Developer Preview is joined to a domain and has WSUS service's Group Policy Object (GPO) applied to it. The WSUS update policy forces your computer to retrieve updates from WSUS server (unless your WSUS server has not been configured to obtain updates from beta update server; and by default it is not configured to do so).

Try the following:

1. Temporary disable WSUS group policy on your computer. The best way would be to contact your system administrator and have him place your computer to a separate OU, but you may disable to policy by applying the following registry patch:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000000

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDevMgrUpdate"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "NoUpdateCheck"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]
    "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000000

Once applied, you will see that you can change options that have been previously disabled and were not available for you to change.

2. Change the settings to retrieve updates but let you choose them. Do NOT reboot your computer.

3. [optional] Install the Windows Live! essentials on your computer (choosing Windows Live Messenger is enough)

4. Try to add the .NET Framework 3.5.1 feature once again.

Check the %systemroot%\WindowsUpdate.log. Checking the log should show that your Windows Update client is connecting to

"https://beta.update.microsoft.com/v6/ClientWebService/client.asmx"
    web service and not the https://windowsupdates.yourcompany.com server.

5. When finished, remove the Windows Live Essentials.

6. Your corporate WSUS policy will be applied with the next Group Policy refresh (or you can apply them manually by running gpupdate command at the command prompt).

Alternatively, try the following command

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs

where D:\ is your mounted Windows Developer Preview setup ISO.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10:11 AM
  • nascentbug,

Are there any Microsoft .NET Framework versions showing in Programs and Features?

I have successfully installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.

I did not use any of the methods noted to date in this thread...what I did do is install Windows Live Essentials 2011, which prompted me to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.

See the post on my site titled "Windows 8 Developer Preview":

Windows 8 Developer Preview

Only took a brief time to do so, perhaps this may work for you...

Swan
    Friday, October 07, 2011 9:10 AM
  • I'm still having trouble, are you referring to the "turn windows features on" in step 2?

I created and installed the registry patch, but i still get a "blue square" for the .net 3.5 option in the "turn windows features on"

hmmm?

Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:32 PM
  • use step 6 and add /LimitAccess to the DISM command.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:06 PM