Guidance needed: Should the workflow or UI control what data to present? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

looking at implementing a workflow based solution which manages the navigation of the UI.

Have resolved how to implement what UI page to show based on the which state the workflow

goes to but have come to a point where some advice or guidance is needed. The question is:

Should the workflow dictate to the UI what data to present at what stage of the workflow

or

should the UI control what data it needs to present and request that from the back end in a separate request with the workflow only dictating what page to show?

e.g. Page 1 needs to display a Name and Address. Should the workflow tell the UI to show the Name and Address data or should Page 1 say "I need to show Name and Address" and request that data from the back end?

Any examples or people's experiences would be most appreciated!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It always depends. I'd prefer workflow dicating what page to show, it matches the principle of data drive.

• Marked as answer by glsp Monday, December 10, 2012 11:18 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It always depends. I'd prefer workflow dicating what page to show, it matches the principle of data drive.

• Marked as answer by glsp Monday, December 10, 2012 11:18 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:48 AM
  • The workflow dictating which page to show is not the issue. Its the contents of the page.

Should the workflow dictate that or should the page manage its own content?

If the workflow dictates the content then the pages become dynamic in rendering and the server side needs to manage the page contents.

If the pages dictate content then there is potentially tighter coupling happening between the workflow and the pages and possibly a more chatty interface between the two but pages are then static.

I was leaning towards the page controlling what to show but having thought about it a bit more I'm now leaning the other way.

Any thoughts or advice?

Monday, February 13, 2012 2:30 AM