none
How to connect a SQL database to an Outlook 2007 form RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone knows whether it is possible to connect an outlook form (we are using outlook 2007) to a SQL database. It is basically a simple form with a couple of text fields and I want to convert these text fields to drop-downs but these drop-downs need to get data from a database stored on the sql server. I know how to write VBA code but I have no idea where to start... Any help and/or directions are most appreciated.

Rik

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:50 AM

Answers

• This is a custom Outlook form?

You would need to write form code (VBScript code) or use a COM addin. With a COM addin you could also use a form region instead of an Outlook custom form.

In either case you would need to write all the code to connect to the SQL server, retrieve recordsets and pop the data from the recordsets into the Outlook items. It would be a completely roll your own operation.

See the information on custom forms and form code, on form regions, on COM addins, and on connecting to databases at www.outlookcode.com for information on all of those technologies and interfaces.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:19 PM