Quick Poll on Libraries for Robotics RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested to know what programming libraries people in the community are using for robotics (apart from RDS) or would like to be able to use from RDS?

I know that some people have used OpenCV with different managed wrappers. What other packages would be useful?

Does it make any sense to provide interoperability with, say, Player or CARMEN?

I'd also like to know what you would use the package(s) for, e.g. Teaching, Research, Product Development, etc.

Please respond to this thread.

Trevor
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:07 PM

Answers

• I've made some use of the Phidgets as well.  They used to provide some basic (and buggy) services for MRDS 1.5 but they were never updated.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hey Trevor,

Offhand, I'd like to have quick access to the libraries contained in OROCOS.

The OROCOS stuff gives kinematics and dynamics libraries for robotic motion, a bayesian filtering library, a component library(various sensors and hardware platforms) for learning, research and product development.

Although these are open-source libraries probably written in non-.net languages, it would be nice to have access to them in one repository deidicated to the RDS community. Basically, there's no reason not to leverage as much open-source code as we can by putting everything in a single easy-to-access spot.
    Any new hobbyist-created RDS software of special interest can be categorized and placed in the RDS repository as well.

For newbies in the RDS community, perhaps examples of how to call or wrap non-.net library code from all .net languages supported in Visual Studio 2008.
    There exists many simple algorithms for tasks as simple as line following, to as complex as environment mapping or omni-directional motor control or robot balancing algorithms, but they are scattered all over the internet. I'm sure new RDS community members would simply love a one-stop-algorithm-shopping perk; making RDS "The Place" to learn robotics from the bottom up. 

SamQ
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 6:10 AM
  • :-)

For vision processing my favorite is AForge .NET. I have also converted some codes to .NET CF as well for my personal use.

Best Regards,

Aravinda D.P.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

1)  You might want to consider the Insteon Software Developer's Kit from SmartLabs for non-robotic applications.

2)  I have found a lot of use for Phidget's APIs

Dogulas

Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:26 PM
  • I've made some use of the Phidgets as well.  They used to provide some basic (and buggy) services for MRDS 1.5 but they were never updated.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 8:29 AM