none
"Insert from file" - ignores source formatting RRS feed

• Question

• We're in the process of setting up a number of new documents which will be brought together to create a whole before being sent out.

We have a core document that requires users to insert pages from two other documents that will be generated using different project data. 

There is a Section Break (New Page) before and after each insertion point in order to allow us to set up the appropriate format (Margins in particular) for the source document.

We have problems with both source files

1) Source Formatting is replaced with Target Formatting. 

In the source file the paragraphs are set to 0pt before/after.  Target file has a default before / after of 6pt.  After import the 6pt value is used.

This problem can be avoided by using Paste - Keep Source Formatting

2) Source File column settings are ignored.

The Source File changes from Single Column to Two Columns part way through the document.  There is a Section Break (Continuous) at this point. 

After insertion, this Section Break is changed to Section Break (New Page) and the later Column Break is treated as a further Page Break.

Any Suggestions?

Dan Kelly
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dan

For the formatting problem you need to define STYLES in the source documents that are not present in the target document (different name). What you're encountering is by design: when multiple documents are brought together it's assumed that styles with the same name should display the same (so that the document looks like it's all of one piece, rather than a patchwork).

For the sections breaks, those breaks that determine page layout, columns, etc. need to be in the source document, not the target document. One at the top, and one at the end (the last paragraph mark, which is the last section break in a document, will be cut off when the document is inserted).

If you're still seeing the very last problem, with the columns, after you make these changes, please specify the version of Word involved.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:59 AM
  • Thanks Cindy

The new styles sort it for the first problem.

I'm using Word 2010.

Apologies if this is convoluted...

In the Target Document I have a Section Break (new Page) at the end of Page 5, Page 6 is set with the appropriate margins for the Target Document, and has a small piece of text instruction how to insert the source document.  There is then a Section Break (New Page) leading into Page 7 which reverts back to the previous margin settings. 

Prior to Insert I have 1 Section Break (new page) following my insertion point.

I have tweaked my Source Document.  It starts as one column, has a Section Break (continuous) switching to two columns, a Column Break changing column, and finally a Section Break (continuous) reverting to single column at the end.

After insert, I have the following after my insertion point

The Section Break (continuous) switching to Two Columns is preserved, as is the Column Break.

The final Section Break (continuous) at the end of the Source Document is now a Section Break (New Page).  The existing Section Break (New Page) that was at the end of Page 6 is now on Page 7.  The next section is now on page 8 rather than 7.

So we have an extra Section Break (New Page) instead of a Section Break (continuous)

Does that make sense?

Dan Kelly
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:56 AM
  • The solution is to have a Section Break continuous at the start of each of the "sub" templates

Solution found here

Dan Kelly

• Marked as answer by dankell Friday, May 18, 2012 12:28 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 12:28 PM
  • On 2012-05-18 14:28, dankell wrote:

The solution is to have a Section Break continuous at the start of each of the "sub" templates

Solution found here

Dan Kelly

Note that if you are using the Insert File dialog box, you will need a continuous section break at the beginning and end of each source file; this preserves the section formatting of the source files.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Friday, May 18, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Stefan 

We do - just forgot to mention in my answer - thanks

Dan

Dan Kelly

Friday, May 18, 2012 1:19 PM