none
[XBOX Creators Program] Observing different performance between XBOX RETAIL and DEVELOPMENT sandbox - please help RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed that my game running in the RETAIL sandbox occasionally glitches (minor hiccup).  But in the DEVELOPMENT sandbox, no matter how long I play for, it doesn't glitch, ever.

I have optimised the game heavily and have profiled it in the DEVELOPMENT sandbox (Unity profiler).  Everything is smooth, and nothing sticks out during gameplay.  It looks like it is barely taxing the XBOX, no allocations, no GC.  Running a build on Windows 10 is smooth as butter, no glitches.

So is there some difference between the XBOX RETAIL sandbox and the DEVELOPMENT sandbox?  Less resources / priority?  Background tasks that can steal CPU from the running game?

I really need to address the glitch, but as I can't reproduce it anywhere except in the RETAIL sandbox, I am sort of stuck and wondering what the good folk at Microsoft think.

thanks

• Edited by Rygaar Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:32 AM fix typo
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:31 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your input Jason.

After a few weeks of investigation (and ridiculous over optimisation), I believe I have finally found the issue, a problematic external hard drive. 

The issues weren't present on another xbox one.

I then realised that the dev build was installed on the internal drive, but the production build was installed on an external drive.  Moving the prod build to the internal drive solved the issue.

• Marked as answer by Rygaar Friday, September 15, 2017 9:11 AM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 9:11 AM

All replies

• I have just been reading up on the "package flight" feature. Possibly I could release a version just to myself that connects to the profiler and see if anything shows up differently in retail, as opposed to the sandbox?
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Scrap that idea, can't pass certification with a Release build (required to connect to the profiler), has to be Master build.
    Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:41 AM
  • This is an odd one.  RETAIL sandbox doesn't do anything different with regard to performance.  Both hit the same endpoints and do the same calls.  Not sure what the issue could be.  

When you use a Master build and put it in a dev sandbox, there's no perf issues?

Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:28 PM
  • That's correct.  Master build in DEV sandbox doesn't glitch, and I've played it hours on end trying to reproduce.
    Friday, September 1, 2017 10:23 AM
  • I understand there are restrictions on the resources available to the UWP games on the Xbox. Are these restrictions applied in the DEV sandbox, or just the RETAIL?
    Monday, September 4, 2017 9:06 PM
  • The restrictions on the resources available to the UWP games on the Xbox One are independent of sandbox.

UWP Games are running shared with other system OS resources.  It’s possible the Shell and other background tasks are much more active in Retail and this would account for the discrepancy. That said, there’s no way to test that theory unfortunately.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 6:39 PM
  • How does the Game Mode stuff work for UWP games running on the Xbox?  Are UWP games running on the Xbox running in Game Mode?
    Monday, September 11, 2017 7:56 AM
  • I think Microsoft talks about Game Mode as a PC only feature at least as far as I can tell: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-setup/use-game-mode-gaming-on-pc  

In terms of resources when running a UWP on console, this is what you'll get: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/system-resource-allocation

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 7:59 PM
  • Thanks for your input Jason.

After a few weeks of investigation (and ridiculous over optimisation), I believe I have finally found the issue, a problematic external hard drive. 

The issues weren't present on another xbox one.

I then realised that the dev build was installed on the internal drive, but the production build was installed on an external drive.  Moving the prod build to the internal drive solved the issue.

• Marked as answer by Rygaar Friday, September 15, 2017 9:11 AM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Ah good to know.  Glad you figured out the issue
    Friday, September 15, 2017 9:41 AM