App_Data / ASPNETDB.MDF RRS feed

• Question

• User1358842085 posted

1) I'm working in Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition, and using MS SQL Server Management Studio Express.

2) I created the Club tables both locally and on the remote SQL Server where my website is hosted using the "club-add.sql" script supplied under App_Data in a local database (ClubSite) ( I deleted App_Data /  Club.mdf )

3) The single connection string in my web.configs is as follows

<connectionStrings>

<remove name="ClubSiteDB"/>

<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=ClubSite;uid=myUser;pwd=myPassword" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

</connectionStrings>

4) I do have a ASPNETDB database set up in the local Sql Express. I'm not using it for the Club site. (However I did try it locally by adding a connection string, and it works fine.)

5) Meanwhile after I removed the connection string Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition went ahead and created App_Data / ASPNETDB.MDF. And this works fine too.

6) My Question: Since I had to use aspnet_regsql tool from the command prompt on my local box to create the ASPNETDB database in the local Sql Express, how do I run aspnet_regsql on the shared hosting provider I use? Or what else can I do, please?

Many thanks,

Alan 

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 7:09 PM

Answers

• User300685930 posted
    checkout the command line options for aspnet_regsql.  You can point it at the remote server, or you can simply have it generate sql which you can run directly with sql admin against the remote server.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 12:34 AM

All replies

• User300685930 posted
    checkout the command line options for aspnet_regsql.  You can point it at the remote server, or you can simply have it generate sql which you can run directly with sql admin against the remote server.
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 12:34 AM
  • User1358842085 posted

Thank you, Peter. Worked fine.

Alan

Saturday, February 17, 2007 10:13 AM
  • User-773133382 posted

I have been posting throughout the forums asking about these two databases.  I am completely new at all this.  Could you please help me with step-by-step instructions, Please?   I have the website working fine on my local computer.  I am using discountasp.net as my web host.  I have tried using the aspnet_regsql, but not sure what it does.  I have also found the sql management tool, but don't know how to use that either.  I think I am just doing the sequence wrong. Could you please help?

Thanks,

Bryan

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:42 PM