none
.NET install failure with CBSPackageName is not authored error RRS feed

• Question

•  

I tried installing the .NET framework 3.0 and/or 3.5 on a Windows Vista ultimate machine. The install errors out with a log:

[12/12/07,16:20:56] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS): [2] CBS Component is marked to be uninstalled but CBSPackageName is not authored - CCBSComponent:Tongue TiedetManager()
    [12/12/07,16:20:56] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0SP1 (CBS): [2] CBS Component can't be uninstalled as CBSPackageName is not authored - CCBSComponent:Tongue TiedetManager()
    [12/12/07,16:24:46] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603
    [12/13/07,13:31:15] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package': [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package'. MSI returned error code 1603
    [12/13/07,13:31:17] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 'package' is not installed.

I proceeded to uninstall all .NET framework installs on the machine. That failed too and I also noticed that my IIS (World Wide Web) service stopped working, giving an error

I attempted to install .NET 3.0 again. Same errors came up as above. I even tried uninstalling IIS which also gave errors when attempting to uninstall. Noe if I try to start IIS, I get an error:

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I have admin rights on this machine. I am now not able to open the Event Viewer either! The error is:

MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have installed correctly.

Name: Event Viewer

CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510

I am not impressed by Vista at all at this point. Wondering how I can possibly restore sanity to this machine, other than reinstalling the OS and all applications again. If I cannot fix this issue, I suspect that XP will be a better choice.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:31 PM

Answers

All replies