none
SharePoint 2010 - Search specific discussion board RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone, 

I am running SharePoint 2010, I don't have Designer. I would like to know if it is possible to search specific discussion boards? Or, to just search the discussion boards in general? 

My current search function searches the entire site. 

Thursday, October 3, 2019 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

Did you use "Search this site" at the upper-right corner of the page?

When using the above search box, it will search within the current list, like the below:

If you want to search within the entire site, you can click the Search scope drop-down to select "This Site:[SiteName]", then search again:

If there are no results returned, you can do a crawl for your content source then check again. To do a crawl, you need to be a farm account and go to Search Service Application->Content Source->[your content source] to start a crawl.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by Jimm M Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:09 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Jimm,

Where did you do the search? Using a Search Center?

In my test, I could search discussion boards based on the keyword, it returned all matched items, please have a try and let's know your result.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, October 4, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hi Wendy, 

Thanks for the reply. I am using the search box at the top of the discussion board. I don't a have search center, and it seems I need server administrator rights to create one?

Thanks, 

Jim

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:33 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Did you use "Search this site" at the upper-right corner of the page?

When using the above search box, it will search within the current list, like the below:

If you want to search within the entire site, you can click the Search scope drop-down to select "This Site:[SiteName]", then search again:

If there are no results returned, you can do a crawl for your content source then check again. To do a crawl, you need to be a farm account and go to Search Service Application->Content Source->[your content source] to start a crawl.

Thanks,

Wendy

• Marked as answer by Jimm M Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:09 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 8:28 AM
  • Hi Wendy, 

That works, thanks! 

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:11 AM
  • Hi Jimm,

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer, it will be beneficial to others in this forum who meet the same issue in the future.

Thanks,

Wendy

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:13 AM
  • Done. Thank you!
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:09 PM
  • Hi Jimm,

Thanks for your response. Hope you are delighted with the service we provided you.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

Environment

====================

SharePoint 2010

Question

====================

Search specific discussion board

Suggestions (solution)

====================

When using the search box at the upper-right of a list view page, it will search within the current list.

If you want to search within the entire site, you can click the Search scope drop-down of the results page to select "This Site:[SiteName]", then search again.

Reference links:

====================

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/sharepoint-2010/hh144966(v%3Doffice.14)

Thanks,

Wendy

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:22 AM