Issue with Search Results of Search box inside the list RRS feed

• Question

• When I am searching look up field value "DR - INBOUND DIRECT TO MMNA/COTTAGE" in the search box of the list in SharePoint 2013. It does not show all the matching results. It shows only few results as in the below first screen shot.

If search the same content using list column filter it shows all exact matching results as in second screen shot. The results are encircled with red color.

Can any one please guide/advise me on this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help and gudance.

Narayana Reddy G

Monday, December 8, 2014 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Narayan,

You have to remove To from the value not from the search keyword.

Please search MMNA keyword in search text box and apply filter on Destination Yard field you will get the same number of records.

Hope you will get my point that the difference between the number of records in both the cases due to special character and noise keyword in the value.

Many Thanks

Soni K

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Narayana,

The problem is with -(hyphen) in between the value  "DR - INBOUND DIRECT TO MMNA/COTTAGE" .

Can you please remove - (hyphen) and try to search again.

Regards

Soni K

Monday, December 8, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Hi Soni,

Thank you for your reply.

I removed hyphen and searched with "DR  INBOUND DIRECT TO MMNA/COTTAGE".

The search results increased compared to previous time so that is good improvement but still it did not match the exact results of those come when filtering list column. The list column search results are more compare to those coming when searching in the search box of the list. Placed the screen shots below for your reference.

If you've other ideas to share, please let me know and thank you.

Narayana Reddy G

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:32 PM
  • Hi Narayan,

Ok so this is due to Noise keyword with SharePoint Search.can you please remove "To" from the value and check again.

Below is the noise keyword which SharePoint search query ignores while fetching search result.

a
    and
    is
    in
    it
    of
    the
    to

Hope this will help you.

Regards

Soni K

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Hi Soni,

Thanks for your quick response.

I removed "TO" and searched with "DR  INBOUND DIRECT  MMNA/COTTAGE". I do not see change in the search results. The List column filter results are more and exact. Placed below the search results screen shots for your reference.

Any other ideas, please let me know and thank you.

Narayana Reddy G

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Hi Narayan,

You have to remove To from the value not from the search keyword.

Please search MMNA keyword in search text box and apply filter on Destination Yard field you will get the same number of records.

Hope you will get my point that the difference between the number of records in both the cases due to special character and noise keyword in the value.

Many Thanks

Soni K

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:44 PM