Getting error when trying to create a pivot table from the power pivot data. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I get the following error when I try to create a pivot table from the power pivot menu:

============================
    Error Message:

Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

Call Stack:

Server stack trace:

Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.PivotCache.CreatePivotTable(Object TableDestination, Object TableName, Object ReadData, Object DefaultVersion)
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiRibbon.CreatePivot(PivotCache cache, Worksheet workSheet, Int32 rowIndex, Int32 colIndex, Object pivotVersion, SASlicerHost slicerHost)
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiRibbon.InsertPivot(String sandboxConnectionString, String location, String cubeName, MultiObjectsReportType reportType)

I run with Windows 7 EE, Office 2010 - full installation and the latest Power Pivot download. I got no errors/trouble during the installation.

The steps I do, are the following:

1.Run excel and navigate to the power pivot window.

2.Import a CSV file (tried all kinds of sizes - between 100 and 1M rows, and I'm pretty sure my file is not corrupt). The files import with no trouble.

3.Then I hit the power pivot icon within the PP window and then is when the above mistake occurs.

Any ideas?

Monday, September 27, 2010 5:59 AM

Answers

• Sorry, did not mean to propose the above as answer. Meant to reply with a proposed answer...

Did you check and see that Excel is not opening in compatibility mode? The was what happened to me (Windows 7 as well and upgraded excel 2010 from 2007).

• Proposed as answer by dbau56789 Friday, November 5, 2010 9:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by h.piyankov Friday, November 12, 2010 8:49 AM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 9:10 PM

All replies

• Wow. This is a very common scenario.

1) Can you check whether your workbook is not protected?

2) Just to make sure this issue is not related to data, can you create a simple table on Excel and create a linked table and create Pivot table on top of it?

3) What is your OS and Office language?

4) You have mentioned latest PowerPivot, can you get us the version by clicking on Settings button on the PowerPivot Tab in Excel.

Thanks, Deva [MSFT] My blog: http://powerpivot.spaces.live.com/
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:31 PM
  • 1. Checked it and the workbook is not protected.

2. Did this and had no issues creating a standard pivot table on top of the linked data.

3. The default language of Office is Bulgarian, I also have English (U.S.) enabled (also tried setting English as the default language - got the same error). The default language of the OS is English (U.S.).

4. Version 1.10.1600.1

Monday, September 27, 2010 4:08 PM
  • After switching the language to English, close and open a new Excel workbook and try importing again to create pivot table. This will confirm whether it's related to language.

Is it possible to share the workbook with sample data?

Thanks, Deva [MSFT] My blog: http://powerpivot.spaces.live.com/
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Tried it and it didn't work.

Could the problem be, that I am behind a proxy with a limited internet access? Has this anything to do with PowerPivot?

I am attaching the file with a very simple sample data, that I am using for test purposes : http://www.2shared.com/document/XegK8ujp/TestTable2.html .
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:12 AM
  • I fixed the problem by uninstalling PowerPivot, renaming the Microsoft Analytics (something in that nature) in program files by adding a ".old", reinstalling Windows SP3. Rebooting and then logging back in and reinstalling Powerpivot. Now the problem seems to be gone.
    • Proposed as answer by AhmadtheITGuy Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Tried it (without the SP reinstallation, as I'm on Windows 7) and unfortunately did not work. Also got the new PowerPivot... no luck as well.
    • Proposed as answer by dbau56789 Friday, November 5, 2010 9:08 PM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:41 AM
  • Sorry, did not mean to propose the above as answer. Meant to reply with a proposed answer...

Did you check and see that Excel is not opening in compatibility mode? The was what happened to me (Windows 7 as well and upgraded excel 2010 from 2007).

• Proposed as answer by dbau56789 Friday, November 5, 2010 9:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by h.piyankov Friday, November 12, 2010 8:49 AM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Eh... that was actually the problem, as I had Excel starting in compatability mode by default. Something so simple, yet I was digging in for a way more complex problem. Thanks a bunch.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:51 AM
  • hi, can i ask what is the version of the "new Powerpivot" that you mentioned?  I am also experiencing the same problem of "unable to load vertipaq engine" as shown below:

I am using windows xp sp3, microsoft excel 2010 and powerpivot version 10.50.1747.0

Hope you can assist, thanks.

rror Message:

Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC

Call Stack:

Server stack trace:
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiProxy.MethodInvokeCallBack(String memberName, String dispID, BindingFlags flags, Object[] args, Boolean ignoreRetry)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiProxy.HandleMethodInvoke(IMethodCallMessage callMessage)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.OLEDBConnection.Reconnect()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.InProcServer.LoadOLEDBConnection(Boolean raiseCompleteEvent)

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:50 AM
  • compatibility mode change worked for me too.

Thanks,

Thomas

Monday, February 13, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Thank!!!

Zsombor 

That was my problem!!!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:25 PM