SSRS User permissions through VB.net based UI RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

We are in the beaning phase of Cognos reports conversion to SSRS 2016.  Which is simple and straight forward. But the user access and permissions is the tricky part and this is where I seek expert advice.  The way thing were handled in Cognos are bit messed up , there are multiple roles created based on the user requirement. For example a single user can be part of multiple Roles created in Cognos. Meaning user1 can have access to CategoryA , user1 also h as access to everything thing in CategoryB except report1 etc., 

We are to come up with a UI that will allow us to implement this security and I have no idea on how this can be achieved. 

We do have a common portal where a user would login and then access the UI through the link provied to launch it.  The client is interested in having a treeview display of the SSRS reports. They are not comfortable with embedding SSRS controls in the webpage as they can not mimic the cognos security. 

I would highly appreciate if anyone could advise on how the security part can be implement so we can start developing reports.  

Feel free to ask any questions or if you need more information. I am not a developer and will try to find out answers to any questions you have. 

Thanks in advance. 

Monday, May 22, 2017 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Seattle Sun,

May I know what exact functions the UI provides? And would you like to customize the SSRS security extension using your own UI?

In SSRS, security extensions are used to authenticate and authorize users and groups to a report server. You can create a custom security extension to replace default security if your deployment model requires a different authentication approach. In practice, deploying a custom authentication extension requires multiple steps that include copying assemblies and application files, modifying configuration files and testing. For detailed information, you could refer to Configure Custom or Forms Authentication on the Report Server and Implementing Custom Security Extensions for SQL Server 2008 R2.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Henry 

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:56 AM
  • Sorry about the late reply Henry, I was out on a vacation.  

The Function of UI is : Authenticate the user and display reports in tree-view control/folder-view control. User should only see the reports which his role has permissions to. Also give the user parameter prompts so he can supply the values. 

We have most of the coding done , in the way we want the UI. Just want to add security part.

I am looking for ...

a) How to hide/show folder structure in treeview control or FolderView Control based on the user Role. 

b) How to get roles from SSRS Catalog table. How to grab those roles and make logical decisions on what to show ?

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks !!!  

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 5:37 PM