Screen Versus Printer display issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a report in Access 2013 That contains a bound OLE object which is bound to a bitmap image stored in a table.   When I print it to the screen, It appears something like this.

When I print it to the printer it looks something like this.

This is becoming an issue to my customer, he wants it the same in both iterations.  Can anyone tell me why there is such a difference?

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:40 PM

Answers

• How an image looks on the screen in print preview mode depends on the format of the image and the individual computer screen resolution settings. I don't believe it has anything to do with ACCESS itself. You probably can't "fix" it. But as long as the image prints properly on the report, who cares?
    • Marked as answer by tkosel Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:33 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 3:13 PM
  • To all,

I am going to mark this as the answer to allow the thread to close, because it would not appear there is a solution. As Lawence Ellefsen suggested as long as it prints OK, who cares what it looks like on the screen.  I don't really agree with this viewpoint as it makes development a lot harder in my opinion.

However, I think I have acclimated my customer to this and think we can get by.

• Edited by tkosel Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:33 PM

All replies

• Hi tkosel,

first of all I want to confirm with you that how you print on screen?

by displaying the image on screen or you check in print preview?

if possible then can you show me the result of print preview and printed copy.

also I suggest you to check that your printer drivers are up to date and well supported version.

other thing I want you to test is , decrease the size of the image on report. make it small and then try to print.

if we see the result of printed copy then we can notice that it is far better then the print to screen.

is there anything format on your report that is not displaying correctly?

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:01 AM
  • Deepak,

Sorry I took so long to reply and thanks for your interest. 

The first image was obtained by doing a print preview of the report.  The display on the screen looked bad, so I used the snipping tool to capture what was on the screen, saved that as a jpg and uploaded it here.

Then I printed the report to my printer.  The image looked good there, so I used my high resolution scanner to scan the printed page, cropped the image to just contain the image, saved the cropped image as a jpg and uploaded it here.

While the printed to the printer version is not perfect, it is far better than the screen display version.

Changing the size of the image is not an option.  I did it and it makes no difference in the difference between on screen display and printed display.

Printer drivers and all windows 7 software are all the latest and greatest.

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:28 PM
  • How an image looks on the screen in print preview mode depends on the format of the image and the individual computer screen resolution settings. I don't believe it has anything to do with ACCESS itself. You probably can't "fix" it. But as long as the image prints properly on the report, who cares?
    Friday, April 21, 2017 3:13 PM
  • Lawrence,

You are right, and I wouldn't have even tried to see if there was something that could be done, but the customer doesn't like it.  The image renders fine when printed, and that is really all that matters, except the customer has a bug about it. 

Thanks for your opinion.

Friday, April 21, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Hi tkosel,

you can try to open the same report on your development machine or on any other machine that have better display screen then your customer.

then you can check that is still image is not display correctly or it displays perfect.

if it is not display correctly then it is possible that issue is related with image on Access Report.

if it displays correctly then you can inform your customer that the issue is related with his Monitor.

if he want to correct the issue then replace the monitor with better one.

let us know about your testing results. so we can try to provide you further suggestions if needed.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:38 AM
  • To all,

I am going to mark this as the answer to allow the thread to close, because it would not appear there is a solution. As Lawence Ellefsen suggested as long as it prints OK, who cares what it looks like on the screen.  I don't really agree with this viewpoint as it makes development a lot harder in my opinion.

However, I think I have acclimated my customer to this and think we can get by.

• Edited by tkosel Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:33 PM