Infopath Intranet and Internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have one question. I am developing infopath form for publishing data in intranet and after i submit data then it will store in Lists(LISt Items).
    And the search results is xml files.
    now my question is 
    I am going to  publishe the data into internet through content deployment.
    in internet also seacrh results is xml files??
    then every user how he can open xml files?(means every user may be he dont have infopath software)

Thanks&Regards
    Raju

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Raju,

If you are deploying InfoPath forms and hosted in MOSS as web enabled page then you should not worry about InfoPath installation on client side as MOSS server translate your template into html before rendering to client. 

What do you mean by search results in xml files ? are you talking about OOB search ? you need to configure your site for search which enables MOSS to search from your submitted infopath form data. Same applies to Internet facing form library with form data deployed through MOSS content deployment mechanism.

Ashraf ul Islam
    Sharepoint Consultant
    • Marked as answer by rajureddy Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:28 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:57 AM
  • He probably means that InfoPath forms show up in search results as the direct XML file, and when you click on them, they open in the client, since it's not the Forms Services URL.  However, someone without InfoPath should be presented with the form in browser mode as long as the form is browser-enabled.  I get the impression that he is seeing the XML files in search and hasn't actually tested to see what would happen.  One test would likely have answered his question before asking it.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:41 AM
  • You can try publishing the form on both sites, this way you will guarantee that the xml files will find the template they are looking for.

Be sure when you push this data from intranet to internet, you push to the form library where you have published the template.
    Hazem Elshabini OMS (Online Modern Solutions) Software Developer http://infopointblog.com
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 6:07 PM

All replies

• I am not sure what your question is?

If you are asking how users who do not have InfoPath client will open the xml files which contains form data. Then you should try making it a browser-compatible form. This way it will open to users normally in the browser.
    I am not sure how this will work on your internet site, deploying the xml file only will not allow the user to open the form at all is it will fail to locate the template that the form is designed for.

Please explain more.

If you are asking whether MOSS Search will be able to crawl these xml file? yes it will.

Hazem Elshabini OMS (Online Modern Solutions) Software Developer http://infopointblog.com
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 2:40 AM
  • Thank you Hazem.

I am submitting data in intranet site by using infopath form.and search results will xml files.
    I have to push this data from intranet to internet by using content deployment.

So what is my question is  
    In internet site search results would be xml files? then how the users will open this files(every user don't have infopath software).

Thanks
    Raju
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Rajureddy,

It is difficult to follow exactly what you are asking.  But it sounds like you are submitting an InfoPath form to an Intranet Site.  You then want to copy the InfoPath Data to and Internet Site using content deployment.  If you want the users to be able to opent the submitted for data they need the InfoPath Client or you need to configure Form Server.  You could also look at using a 3rd party web part to host the InfoPath Form.  I believe either Bamboo Solutions or Kwiz have such solutiosn.

Hope this helps.
    Dennis Bottjer | Blog: www.DennisBottjer.com | Follow Me: www.twitter.com/dbottjer | Subscribe: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dennisbottjer
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Hi Raju,

If you are deploying InfoPath forms and hosted in MOSS as web enabled page then you should not worry about InfoPath installation on client side as MOSS server translate your template into html before rendering to client. 

What do you mean by search results in xml files ? are you talking about OOB search ? you need to configure your site for search which enables MOSS to search from your submitted infopath form data. Same applies to Internet facing form library with form data deployed through MOSS content deployment mechanism.

Ashraf ul Islam
    Sharepoint Consultant
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:57 AM
  • He probably means that InfoPath forms show up in search results as the direct XML file, and when you click on them, they open in the client, since it's not the Forms Services URL.  However, someone without InfoPath should be presented with the form in browser mode as long as the form is browser-enabled.  I get the impression that he is seeing the XML files in search and hasn't actually tested to see what would happen.  One test would likely have answered his question before asking it.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:41 AM
  • You can try publishing the form on both sites, this way you will guarantee that the xml files will find the template they are looking for.

Be sure when you push this data from intranet to internet, you push to the form library where you have published the template.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 6:07 PM