locked
Version number not updating when I use file publish RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a LightSwitch OOB app using the SilverLight client that has been running from a server on our local network for some years, and I have always used remote publishing.

    I'm moving the app to another server, which is hosted by a 3rd party company, and as I don't have authority to do remote publishing, I want to create a disk package and copy the files up via FTP. However, I think I must be doing something wrong, because no matter what I do, the published app is stuck at the last version that the current version had. However many times I modify the code and republish, the version number never changes (meaning that the code doesn't either).

    It's very likely that the way I'm publishing isn't right, as it does seem somewhat tortuous, so I'll detail what I did...

    • I created a new web site in the control panel for the hosting company
    • I created a new database, and restored a backup from the old server
    • I published the LightSwitch app, but changed the publish output to disk package
    • After the wizard completes, I go to the publish folder, then drill down into the zip file until I find the app.publish folder
    • I copy everything in that folder to the new server via FTP

    The app runs, but is stuck at the old version.

    I've cleaned the solution, changed the version numbers, deleted the files from the server and re-uploaded them, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, everything I can think of, but whenever I load the page in my web browser to get the Install button, it shows the same old version number.

    Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong? More to the point, what is the right way to publish when all you have is FTP access to the server?

    Thanks

    Edit: I've noticed that the code is actually being updated, it's just the version number displayed on the web page, and in the OOB window when it loads a new version that are wrong. This is less important than I thought it was, but should still be fixed, as it will confuse the users no end.
    • Edited by Mr Yossu Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:37 PM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:00 PM

All replies

  • Hi Mr Yossu,

    What if remove the older version and republish the new version? Maybe it could be related to the visual studio publish configuration.

    Best Regards,

    Yuk Ding

    Friday, October 20, 2017 3:26 AM
  • Hi Yuk,

    What do you mean by "remove the older version"? I have tried cleaning the solution before publishing, and I have tried deleting all the files from the Publish folder as well as the server before publishing and deploying, but it didn't make any difference. Whatever I do, the same version number shows up when it gives the message about a new version.

    Thanks anyway, any other ideas?

    Saturday, October 21, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Hi Mr Yossu,

    Hope these links could help you:

    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/79d421a5-b8e4-45e5-aee5-0bcadcf82e64/solved-microsoft-lightswitch-update-publish-issue-on-an-existing-project-visual-studio-2012?forum=lightswitch

    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/6c8fb6df-80c4-4c97-b695-9cb499e283ce/application-not-loading-properly-on-the-and-is-displaying-version-numbers-that-are-not-consistant?forum=lightswitch

    Best Regards,

    Yuk Ding

    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:40 AM
  • Hi Yuk,

    Thanks for the reply. The first one was actually a slightly different issue. That was just about why the displayed version in the OOB app is one behind the newly downloaded version. In my case, the version number was stuck, even when the actual app version was many revisions greater. As it happens the accepted answer on the second one was by me!

    Anyway, it turned out that the problem was that I was publishing from the wrong location. When the Publish wizard finished, I went to the publish folder, and drilled my way down into the zip file until I reached the app.publish folder. I then copied the contents of that folder to the server. Turns out this was wrong, as explained in the replies to a question I posted in this forum 3 years ago!

    I'm still not sure why the numbers were wrong when I published the other way, but as this way is quicker (it was a real pain drilling down that far into the zip file) and works, I'm not too worried about it.

    Thanks anyway.

    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:12 PM
  • Hi Mr Yossu,

    Thanks for sharing your experience.

    Best Regards,

    Yuk Ding

    Thursday, October 26, 2017 7:49 AM