none
Really no way to assign a macro to a key or quickstep in Outlook 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Having recently been forced to change from Office 2007 to Office 2013 I relived the nightmare of loosing the menubar and keyboard assign functionality in Outlook as I did with the rest of Office going from 2003 to 2007.

Is there REALLY no way to assign own macros to keyboard shortcuts in Outlook 2013?

A lot of my efficiency in Outlook depended on the ability to run quick macros. There are the QuickStep shortcuts but only to built in predefined actions. I don't understand how MS suddenly removes great functionality just like that.

kr

Morten

Saturday, December 13, 2014 11:33 AM

Answers

• Hello Morten,

> Is there REALLY no way to assign own macros to keyboard shortcuts in Outlook 2013?

Nope.

But you can also assign a macro to buttons on a QAT or on the ribbon. For example:

You may see on the right hand side the list of VBA macro subs available (I don't have any). On the right hand side you can see the list of ribbon controls. See the Quick Access Toolbar tab if you need to customize the QAT.

Thus, you can add a button for your macro and use the button's shortcut for running the code.

Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Morten,

You can leave your thoughts on the Submit Feedback page.

Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hello Morten,

> Is there REALLY no way to assign own macros to keyboard shortcuts in Outlook 2013?

Nope.

But you can also assign a macro to buttons on a QAT or on the ribbon. For example:

You may see on the right hand side the list of VBA macro subs available (I don't have any). On the right hand side you can see the list of ribbon controls. See the Quick Access Toolbar tab if you need to customize the QAT.

Thus, you can add a button for your macro and use the button's shortcut for running the code.

Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Yes, thanks for attempt to help. That is not a keyboard shorcut though. Using the mouse to push buttons all the time is not that efficient. For some reason, Microsoft, tends to forget, that their big professional user base does not want to use the mouse all the time, but be able to do things quickly with the keyboard.

So what we need is the ability to assign a keyboard shortcut to a macro - and not the clumpsy ribbon

But, thanks again

Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:33 PM
  • Morten,

You can leave your thoughts on the Submit Feedback page.

Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:43 PM
  • I'm with you on the Keyboard vs. Mouse thing.  KB is much faster.

Don't know if it helps, but QuickSteps do support predefined "hotkeys".  In the QuickSteps pull-down, choose "Manage Quick Steps" then select your Quick Step on the left and click "Edit" on the right.  On the bottom of the edit box you can assign "hotkeys" of CTRL+SHIFT+1 through CTRL+CHIFT+9.  It ain't much, but it's better than nothing.  :-)

The Quick Access Toolbar also accepts Alt-1 through Alt-9 as hotkeys for the first nine items on the toolbar.  You just have to be careful about placement order.

After the first nine, you can TAP the ALT key, then enter the codes which display when you tap ALT.  (You can also tap ALT for the first nine if you prefer it that way.)  Beyond the first nine, they count backwards like [09], [08], ... [01], then they count upward with Zero+Letters like [0A], [0B], [0C]...

On a possibly related note, if you want one-keypress solutions, you can also use a macro program like AutoHotKey to activate items on your Quick Access Toolbar using the above keystokes.  For example, you could use CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+W to enter {ALT DOWN}, {ALT UP}, 0, 7 to activate the 12th item on your QAT, counting as positions: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [09] [08] [07]

Hope that helps!

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 11:07 PM