Copy database with full-text index RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone please explain the proper precedure for copying a SQL Express database between two instances?

I am accessing the database without problems from a local web application. And I want to copy the database to a SQL Express instance on another server, running the same web application.

I run into two problems every time I copy:

1) Orphaned users. I have to drop the database users and the re-map the server users to database users.

2) The full-text indexes are not available after copy, so I have to drop and re-create the indexes and the catalog.

And I suspect there's an easier way..

Regards,
    Jens Erik

Friday, September 1, 2006 8:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Jens,

The behavior with users is expected. Users and Logins are indelibly linked and only the Users are stored in the database. When you move a database to production, you have to create the appropriate Logins on the new server and then link them to the Users in your database.

Full-text indexes are another odd case. These indexes are stored outside of the database as they are created by an external process. Again, just copying the mdf file will not copy and move the Full-text index. Backup/Resore does handle the Full-text index, so you should consider that option. There is more information about this in BOL. Check out http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190436.aspx.

Mike

Sunday, September 10, 2006 1:25 AM