none
Debugging Tool RRS feed

• Question

• Help! I'm not a programmer or even close to it. All I'm trying to do is open a DMP file in Windows 10 to see why my PC (Surface Pro 4) crashes every week. I downloaded and installed Visual Studio Community, then downloaded and ran wdksetup.

I still can't open DMP files. When I double click the dmp file from file explorer it open VS, then I get an error:

There is no editor available for c:\...dmp". I've spend all day on this, is it that hard or am I just missing the boat? Appreciate any help.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:09 PM

Answers

• Please try to upload your dump here.

Also, look at this program.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:32 PM
  • you want the windows debugger, which is installed by the desktop sdk. not sure if VS community installs the entire desktop SDK or only the parts for UWP applications. The binary you want is windbg.exe and you would open the file with windbg -z <dump file>

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:34 PM

All replies

• Please try to upload your dump here.

Also, look at this program.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:32 PM
  • you want the windows debugger, which is installed by the desktop sdk. not sure if VS community installs the entire desktop SDK or only the parts for UWP applications. The binary you want is windbg.exe and you would open the file with windbg -z <dump file>

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:34 PM
  • At least for VS 2013 Express WDK 8.1 integrated, one can use "alt+z" to load kernel-dumps

With kind regards

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 11:26 AM
  • Thanks. I think this is the best solution for me.
    Friday, January 8, 2016 1:26 PM