none
Why are WPA results different when using Xperf vs. Logman collected ETL files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

When using WPA to view custom ETW events, I see different results based on whether Xperf or Logman was used to collect the etl file.  For Xperf collected ETL files, WPA correctly shows the provider and event names correctly.  However, for Logman collected ETL files, only the provider GUID and Event IDs (as numbers) are shown.

For example,

wevtutil im customdata.man

xperf -start Custom -on CustomData

pause

xperf -stop Custom -d custom.etl

wpa custom.etl

==> This allows WPA to show the correct text for provider and events

However,

wevtutil im customdata.man

logman start Custom -ets -p CustomData -o custom.etl

pause

logman stop Custom -ets

wpa custom.etl

==> This only allows WPA to show the provider GUID and Event IDs as numbers.

What I'm trying to achieve is to use Logman collection and get the same wpa result as I see with Xperf.  Is there a way, by either using different Logman command line options, or through some other post-processing of the ETL file to get the correct text representations for the provider and events?  I'm also curious as to what the difference is between the two.

Thanks!

.Dan

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:07 PM

All replies

• This is most likely due to the fact that meta-data is not placed into the ETL file when using Logman. What is the correct method of adding the meta-data?  Thanks!

Regards,

.Dan

Monday, June 9, 2014 6:01 PM