none
vs2012 won't target .Net 4.5 on windows server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have vs2012 update 4 installed on windows 7 and targeting .Net 4.5 works as expected.  A client however has the need to install vs2012 on a dev windows 2012 server (running BizTalk 2013) but so far I have been unsuccessful.  .Net 4.5 is installed on the server, but vs2012 will not recognize it as existing.

Things I have tried:

uninstall/reinstall .Net 4.5

install both 8.0 & 8.1 sdks (4.51 will display in vs as an option but BizTalk 2013 cannot use it)

ran the .Net verification tool and 4.5 passed without issue.

Any ideas?

Ted

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Ted,

Does Visual Studio 2012 installed well on your OS and your issue is actually that you cannot switch your target framework to .NET Framework 4.5?

If so, please clarify your project type for me. And also make sure .NET 4.5 feature is enabled on your Windows Server 2012.

By the way, I'm not familar with this windows 2012 server (running BizTalk 2013). Can you share some details about this windows version? Actually, Visual Studio 2012 treat .NET Framework 4.5 as a prerequisite. If your VS installed without problem. Actually it should recognise .NET 4.5. Can you find this ".NET Framework SDKs and Targeting Packs for Visual Studio 2012" from your control panel?

Can you share your full logs for me? Please use  http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/   and share the link here.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:53 AM
  • Barry,

Thanks for the reply.  For some unknown reason, I was able to see (and target) 4.5 after my second install of the 8.0 sdk.  Why it did not work the first time is a bit of a mystery but the second time was the charm.

I had enabled/re-enabled 4.5 on the server multiple times with reboots, etc. to no avail.  It must have been something with the sdk install that went awry.

Thanks again for your response.

Ted

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Ted,

Does Visual Studio 2012 installed well on your OS and your issue is actually that you cannot switch your target framework to .NET Framework 4.5?

If so, please clarify your project type for me. And also make sure .NET 4.5 feature is enabled on your Windows Server 2012.

By the way, I'm not familar with this windows 2012 server (running BizTalk 2013). Can you share some details about this windows version? Actually, Visual Studio 2012 treat .NET Framework 4.5 as a prerequisite. If your VS installed without problem. Actually it should recognise .NET 4.5. Can you find this ".NET Framework SDKs and Targeting Packs for Visual Studio 2012" from your control panel?

Can you share your full logs for me? Please use  http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/   and share the link here.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:53 AM
  • Barry,

Thanks for the reply.  For some unknown reason, I was able to see (and target) 4.5 after my second install of the 8.0 sdk.  Why it did not work the first time is a bit of a mystery but the second time was the charm.

I had enabled/re-enabled 4.5 on the server multiple times with reboots, etc. to no avail.  It must have been something with the sdk install that went awry.

Thanks again for your response.

Ted

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:52 PM