none
BizTalk 2013 Azure Development VM approach RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

What would be the better approach amongst the below options to start a BizTalk development work with say 4 developers. (Azure IaaS only scenarios, not considering on-premise development VMs)

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect. 

Option 1

a) Buy 'Premium' MSDN subscriptions for all the developers.

b) Provision Windows Server 2012 VM. Download and install BizTalk 2013, SQL, Visual Studio using the MSDN subsciption

c) Increase the RAM to allow 4 developers to work effectively, buy terminal licenses for each additional login.

Option 2

a) Buy 'Premium' MSDN subscriptions for all the developers.

b) Provision Microsoft BizTalk 2013 Developer VM ( i understand that this comes with a MSDN subscription) per developer.

Any other option :)

Please let me know your comments on the best alternatives to start a new BizTalk Development project with IaaS.

Thanks,

Ujjwal

-Ujjwal

Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:45 PM

All replies

• #1 and most important, do not consider Option 1 any further.  You cannot productively share a BizTalk DEV environment.  Please, don't even try.

For Option 2, provisioning one or more VM's per developer:

• The VM Gallery includes images for BizTalk Server 2013 and 2013 R2 you can pay-as-you-go.  Price depends on the MSDN benefits attached to the Subscription.
    • You can always provision simple Windows Server VM's and install the MSDN or Developer versions of SQL Server, BizTalk Server and Visual Studio.

The recommended license model is MSDN.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 7:25 PM
  • Hi Ujjwal,

We had the same requirement recently to set up the BizTalk development in house and here is my experience with the initial setup.

1.        We bought the MSDN subscription with visual studio premium for all the developers. With this we can use the visual studio online for the scrum management.
    2.        We thought of creating developer VM’s in azure so that I can work from anywhere. We logged in to azure and selected one of the existing images for the BizTalk 2013 R2 and then configured BizTalk and all looks good
    3.        But most of our other servers(like CRM,DB server, Oracle etc..) exists on premise and it is completely locked environment because of the banking data. So to connect from Azure to on premise we need a site-to-site VPn setup but our infrastructure decided not to do that.
    4.        The work around for us is, I downloaded the azure VM(around 130GB) to on premise and loaded into hyper-v and I immediately started working on that without making any changes.

Story in short configuring BizTalk with existing image is pretty simple and also can be downloaded to on premise if needed.

Cheers

JB

JB

Friday, February 13, 2015 1:29 AM