Service Fabric - IoT Queries RRS feed

• Question

• Team,

I'm trying to explore Azure Service Fabric partitions. I have read about the partition models in Service Fabric. 

I have an application which ingests data into IoTY Hub and another Service Fabric which listens to the IoT queue and adds the message to a reliable dictionary. 

As I was exploring named partition because my IoT hub message pushes data into the queue based on the city temperatures and I wanted to store the temperature of the cities to specific partition. For example, temperatures pushed from Sydney IoT hub should be added to Sydney partition in Service Fabric and so-on. I'm aware I can go for named partition to achieve this. But, while exploring such scenarios, few queries were raised for which I'm seeking answers. Below are those.

1) How many offsets can be there for a hub and service fabric ? What is the exact use of offsets ?
    2) Partition mismatch between Hub and SF ? Like I have 4 partition in IoT Hub, but in Service Fabric there are more than 10 partitions. Possible ?
    3) IoT Specific Partitioning ? Can I directly push messages to a specific partition in IoT hub. For example, If I want to push temperatures in Sydney to partition number 1 in IoT hub ? Based on my explorations, it looks like it is not possible. Can someone confirm ?
    4) Device ID - Use of Device ID in IoT Hub ? My understanding is, using the deviceid we can push messages to a specific device which has been registered for a device. Correct me if I'm wrong. 
    5) Partition Key - Use of Partition Key ? My understanding is, through partition key we can access the data stored in that specific partition. Isn't it ?
    6) Can partition be increased dynamically in Service Fabric ?

Thanks,

Prasenna

Sunday, January 21, 2018 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hello Prasenna,

Azure IoT Hub can't push data into the specific partition. For this use case you may check event hub.

>>>4) Device ID - Use of Device ID in IoT Hub ? My understanding is, using the deviceid we can push messages to a specific device which has been registered for a device. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right. IoT Hub does not allow arbitrary partitioning. Device-to-cloud messages are partitioned based on their originating deviceId.

About Azure Service Fabric issue you can ask question here.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 22, 2018 8:08 AM
  • Thanks Rita for the clarification! Let me post my question specific to Service Fabric in the specified forum.

Thanks,

Prasenna

Monday, January 22, 2018 11:33 AM