none
[E2010][EWS] Seeing Distinguished Names instead of SMTP addresses in Black Berry RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Exchange Web Services to create/update contacts and the SMTP email addresses all look fine in Outlook but they are showing up as a Distinguished Name (e.g. “/o=First Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=John Doe”) instead of an SMTP address (e.g. jdoe@zeke.local) on BlackBerry devices.  This problem is only happening for SMTP email addresses that exist in Active Directory.  I verified that our C# application is always sending an SMTP email address to EWS.  However, using Outlook Spy I noticed that the Email1Address field is being set to a Distinguished Name instead of a SMTP email address only for the email addresses that exist in Active Directory.  If I manually create a contact in Outlook and include an email address that is in Active Directory and then look at the Email1Address field in OutlookSpy I see the SMTP email address, not the Distinguished Name.  I tried setting the Email1Address using an extended property with ID 0x8083 via Exchange Web Services but it still is showing up as Distinguished Name in OutlokSpy.  So, it seems like Exchange Web Services is converting the SMTP address into a Distinguished Name.  Why is it doing this?  Is there any way that we can work around this so that we can see SMTP addresses in Black Berry?

Thanks,
    Greg

• Edited by gkriggs Friday, November 11, 2011 11:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:52 PM

All replies

• I was setting the email address on the contact using both the EmailAddressDictionaryEntryType and the extended property with ID 0x8083.  I figured out that if I skip the EmailAddressDictionaryEntryType and only use the extended property, then the Email1Address property was showing up with the SMTP email address in OutlookSpy and the SMTP address showed up correctly on the BlackBerry device.  However, when doing this I see something new strange where if I open the contact up in Outlook and then close the Contact, Outlook asks if I want to save my changes, but I didn't change anything.  I'm wondering why Outlook thinks something changed in the contact.  Any ideas?  Also, I'd prefer to find a work around that doesn't require using the extended property; I don't like by-passing the EWS business logic unless really have to.  I'm also hoping to try to see if we can get BlackBerry to consider this as a bug that needs to be fixed in their BlackBerry server.

Regards,
    Greg

• Edited by gkriggs Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:22 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:18 AM