• 

I have two Cloud Services

service1.cloudapp.net

service2.cloudapp.net

each cloud service is having 1 VM with their own Public IP

each VM is running a website.

VM1 IP is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

VM2 IP is zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz

Now i have created a Round Robin Traffic Manager (xyzrobin.trafficmanager.net) to which I have assigned two end points pointing to each of the cloud services (service1 and service2).

Now i want to assign my Domain name xyz.com to the traffic manager xyzrobin.trafficmanager.netbut the DNS manager is not allowing me to add and is asking for an IP address for the A record.

After studying online a lot I created one CNAME record www for xyz.com and assigned the xyzrobin.trafficmanager.net to it

CNAME ---- www ---- xyzrobin.trafficmanager.net

also another record as this

A ---- xyz.com ---- xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (VM1 IP)

now if i type in browser xyz.com i am taken to VM1 and when i type www.xyz.com i am taken to best selection among VM1 and VM2 via traffic manager.

How do i set the xyz.com to go through the traffic manager.

please help me out.

Mohammed Kamran Azam http://www.owdaro.com

Monday, August 24, 2015 12:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Mohammed,

Traffic Manager works using DNS CNAMEs.  You have done the right thing by creating a CNAME from www.xyz.com to xyzrobin.trafficmanager.net.  Traffic Manager then provides a CNAME to your two cloudapp.net names.

Unfortunately, the DNS standards don't permit a CNAME record at the 'apex' of a DNS zone, in this case 'xyz.com'.  So you can't create a CNAME from 'xyz.com' to Traffic Manager.

This is a known constraint of using CNAMEs, and something we do plan to address in the long term.  In the meantime, the only workaround is to simply use 'www.xyz.com' only or to point xyz.com to a separate web service that does a HTTP 301 re-direct to the www.xyz.com domain.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jonathan Tuliani

Program Manager

Azure Networking - DNS and Traffic Manager

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Mohammed,

Traffic Manager works using DNS CNAMEs.  You have done the right thing by creating a CNAME from www.xyz.com to xyzrobin.trafficmanager.net.  Traffic Manager then provides a CNAME to your two cloudapp.net names.

Unfortunately, the DNS standards don't permit a CNAME record at the 'apex' of a DNS zone, in this case 'xyz.com'.  So you can't create a CNAME from 'xyz.com' to Traffic Manager.

This is a known constraint of using CNAMEs, and something we do plan to address in the long term.  In the meantime, the only workaround is to simply use 'www.xyz.com' only or to point xyz.com to a separate web service that does a HTTP 301 re-direct to the www.xyz.com domain.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jonathan Tuliani

Program Manager

Azure Networking - DNS and Traffic Manager

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:44 AM
  • thanks for your reply.

Will not a 301 redirect be an extra network delay and will 1 web service be able to handle all the requests and redirect them to www domain. Is this the only solution available for round robin network load distribution or do i need to go other way in handling network loads. Is the infrastructure set by me fine or am i missing anything?

Mohammed Kamran Azam http://www.owdaro.com

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:56 AM